Damped Oscillation Amplitude Decrease vs. Mass Relationship

In summary: The 80% answer is what it is reduced by.The question asks for reduced by, but the given 60% answer is what it is reduced to. The 80% answer is what it is reduced by.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two masses and their impact on oscillation. The heavier mass was found to dampen 1.03 times more than the lighter mass, but the expected reduction was incorrect. Instead of 80%, the correct reduction is 59.6%, which may be due to confusion between the percentage reduced by and the percentage reduced to.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
x(t) amplitude = Ae^(-bt/2m)
so what I did was e^-(1/10.1)=0.9057

and e^-(1/14.8)=0.93466

Then 0.93466/0.9057 = 1.03198, so the heavier mass dampens 1.03 times more than the lighter mass. If the lighter mass decreases the oscillation to 72.1%, then the heavier mass would be 72.1%*1.03198 = 74.4, but this is wrong. It should be 80

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 95
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Do I need a telescope?

• Haha
Likes Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
Do I need a telescope?
yes

JoeyBob said:
yes
You may have missed the point of @haruspex's reply!

Steve4Physics said:
You may have missed the point of @haruspex's reply!
Idk it should be fixed now. I swear I attached it two separate times but I guess it didnt work.

I'm having trouble connecting your numbers in post #1 with those in the attachment. The attachment says it declines to 45.4%.
Even then, ignoring post #1, I don't get 80%. I get that it declines by 40%.
(It's a bit confusing that it gives a percentage it declines to with the first mass, but asks for the percentage it declines by for the second mass.)

haruspex said:
I'm having trouble connecting your numbers in post #1 with those in the attachment. The attachment says it declines to 45.4%.
Even then, ignoring post #1, I don't get 80%. I get that it declines by 40%.
(It's a bit confusing that it gives a percentage it declines to with the first mass, but asks for the percentage it declines by for the second mass.)

its actually 59.6.

JoeyBob said:
its actually 59.6.
What is 59.6(%), and is that your answer or the book answer?

haruspex said:
What is 59.6(%), and is that your answer or the book answer?
Answer book.

JoeyBob said:
Answer book.
Ok, so I get the same, except the book seems to have confused the percentage reduced by with the percentage reduced to. For the question asked it should be 40%.

As to your answer, I do not understand your method or the principles you applied. You'll need to explain more. A lot more.

haruspex said:
Ok, so I get the same, except the book seems to have confused the percentage reduced by with the percentage reduced to. For the question asked it should be 40%.

As to your answer, I do not understand your method or the principles you applied. You'll need to explain more. A lot more.

Wait, so which is it asking then? Percentage reduced to?

JoeyBob said:
Wait, so which is it asking then? Percentage reduced to?
The question asks for reduced by, but the given 60% answer is what it is reduced to.

What is damped oscillation amplitude decrease?

Damped oscillation amplitude decrease refers to the gradual reduction in the amplitude of oscillation over time due to the presence of damping forces.

How does mass affect damped oscillation amplitude decrease?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the rate of damped oscillation amplitude decrease. However, a higher mass may result in a slower decrease in amplitude due to its increased inertia.

What is the relationship between damped oscillation amplitude decrease and mass?

The relationship between damped oscillation amplitude decrease and mass is indirect. As the mass of an object increases, the amplitude of oscillation may decrease at a slower rate due to its increased inertia.

What factors can affect the relationship between damped oscillation amplitude decrease and mass?

The relationship between damped oscillation amplitude decrease and mass can be affected by the damping coefficient, the stiffness of the system, and the initial amplitude of oscillation.

How is the damped oscillation amplitude decrease vs. mass relationship used in real-world applications?

The damped oscillation amplitude decrease vs. mass relationship is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and seismology to understand the behavior of oscillating systems and predict their response to external forces.