Determining ansatz for forced oscillations in SHM

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an ansatz in solving second-order differential equations, specifically in the case of a damped oscillator with forced oscillations. The ansatz suggested by Feynman in his lectures is to use the real part of a complex exponential, and the question at hand is why this particular expression is deemed suitable for this scenario. The answer is that it satisfies the linear ODE structure, and its derivatives can be summed to be itself. This is then applied to the homogenous solution of an undamped system to demonstrate how it works.
etotheipi
I've generally solved introductory second order differential equations the 'normal' way; that is, using the auxiliary equation, and if it is inhomogeneous looking at the complementary function as well, and so on.

I know that sometimes it can be helpful to propose an ansatz and substitute it into determine unknown coefficients. In this section of the Feynman lectures (http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_23.html) he proposes a solution to a damped oscillator with forced oscillations of the real part of $$x = \hat{x}e^{iwt}$$where the original differential equation was$$m \ddot{x} + c \dot{x} + kx = F_0 \cos{wt}$$How has he determined that this is a suitable ansatz for the scenario? Is this particular ansatz only applicable when forced oscillations are involved (excluding the obvious simplest case with no damping or periodic force)?N.B. I am not concerned about the complex exponential, the real part of which is [itex]\cos{\omega t}[/itex], but more why this expression has been deemed suitable for the case with forced oscillations (though of course it does actually work, and we could also obtain a solution of that form from first principles of differential equations).

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I've generally solved introductory second order differential equations the 'normal' way; that is, using the auxiliary equation, and if it is inhomogeneous looking at the complementary function as well, and so on.

I know that sometimes it can be helpful to propose an ansatz and substitute it into determine unknown coefficients. In this section of the Feynman lectures (http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_23.html) he proposes a solution to a damped oscillator with forced oscillations of the real part of $$x = \hat{x}e^{iwt}$$where the original differential equation was$$m \ddot{x} + c \dot{x} + kx = F_0 \cos{wt}$$How has he determined that this is a suitable ansatz for the scenario? Is this particular ansatz only applicable when forced oscillations are involved (excluding the obvious simplest case with no damping or periodic force)?N.B. I am not concerned about the complex exponential, the real part of which is [itex]\cos{\omega t}[/itex], but more why this expression has been deemed suitable for the case with forced oscillations (though of course it does actually work, and we could also obtain a solution of that form from first principles of differential equations).

Thank you!
Not entirely sure I understand your question, but I believe mathematicians looked at the linear ODE structure and thought what function, if differentiated, can be summed to be itself? The answer is, of course, a series solution taking the form ##\sum_i a_i x^i## where the coefficients ##a## are to be determined. This makes sense, right? Consider the homogenous solution to the undamped system ##\ddot x + k/m x = 0##. Guessing $$y = \sum_ia_i x^i = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2+a_3x^3+... \implies\\
y''=2a_2+6a_3x+... \implies\\
\ddot x + \frac k m x = 0 \implies\\
2a_2+6a_3x+... + \frac k m (a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2+a_3x^3+...) \implies\\
(2a_2+\frac k m a_0) + (6a_3 + a_1)x + ... = 0 + 0x \implies\\
2a_2+\frac k m a_0 = 0,\,\,\, 6a_3 + a_1 = 0$$

(sorry, my ##x##'s should be ##t##'s and my ##y##'s should be ##x##'s, but you get the idea.

1. What is an ansatz in the context of forced oscillations in SHM?

An ansatz is a proposed solution or approximation to a problem in mathematics or physics. In the context of forced oscillations in SHM, it refers to the initial guess or assumption of the form of the solution to the equation of motion.

2. How do you determine the ansatz for forced oscillations in SHM?

The ansatz for forced oscillations in SHM can be determined by analyzing the given equation of motion and considering the boundary conditions. It can also be based on physical intuition and previous knowledge of similar problems.

3. What are the common forms of ansatz used in forced oscillations in SHM?

Some common forms of ansatz used in forced oscillations in SHM include sinusoidal functions, exponential functions, and polynomial functions. The specific form chosen depends on the specific problem and the boundary conditions.

4. How does the ansatz affect the accuracy of the solution in forced oscillations in SHM?

The ansatz plays a crucial role in determining the accuracy of the solution in forced oscillations in SHM. A well-chosen ansatz can lead to an exact solution, while a poorly chosen one can result in significant errors. It is important to choose an ansatz that satisfies the boundary conditions and accurately represents the behavior of the system.

5. Can the ansatz be modified if the initial guess is incorrect?

Yes, the ansatz can be modified if the initial guess is incorrect. This is a common approach in solving problems in physics and mathematics. If the initial ansatz does not lead to a satisfactory solution, it can be modified or replaced with a different one until an accurate solution is obtained.