Dark energy: is it just "lost" light?

In summary, a question is raised about the possibility of dark energy being ancient photons that are lost in the universe due to the expansion of space. However, it is clarified that dark energy is not the same as regular radiation and behaves differently in the expansion of the universe.
Alessio P.
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and I hope I'm not asking a too "silly" question. I've already looked here and on the internet, but couldn't find a real answer to it. :)
Here's the "silly" question. I was wondering the following, since:
- The universe is inflating
- The most distant objects known are ~90 billion light years away
- The oldest signals we are able to receive are 16 light years away
These objects cannot see each other anymore, and any particle sent to us by them right now will never reach us because it would require faster-than-light travelling. So they are just outside outside our event horizon. The same applies of course to anything that's too far away from them.
So, I think the photons will just "keep travelling" forever, without ever reaching a destination, getting a huge redshift... forever.
Now here's the question: being the photons energy, isn't it possible that the dark energy is just "ancient photons" being lost in the middle of nowhere?

Thank you! :)

Space news on Phys.org
Alessio P. said:
These objects cannot see each other anymore, and any particle sent to us by them right now will never reach us because it would require faster-than-light travelling. So they are just outside outside our event horizon.
Quick point: the event horizon of the universe presently lies beyond the particle horizon (the distance that light has traveled since the big bang). This means that there is still time to receive light signals from those most distant objects.
Now here's the question: being the photons energy, isn't it possible that the dark energy is just "ancient photons" being lost in the middle of nowhere?
No, these photons are still regular old radiation. Radiation, of any wavelength, causes the universe to expand at a decelerated rate. Dark energy is something altogether different -- an exotic fluid that importantly does not dilute (or redshift) as the universe expands.

bapowell said:
Dark energy is something altogether different -- an exotic fluid that importantly does not dilute (or redshift) as the universe expands.

Or just a constant in the equations.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up approximately 70% of the entire universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to light?

Dark energy is not directly related to light. It is called "dark" because it does not interact with light in any way that we can currently detect. It is believed to have a repulsive force that counteracts the force of gravity, causing the universe to expand at an accelerated rate.

3. Is dark energy the same as dark matter?

No, dark energy and dark matter are two separate concepts. Dark matter is a form of matter that we cannot see or detect, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a type of energy that is believed to be responsible for the expansion of the universe.

4. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through various methods, such as observing the effects of dark energy on the expansion of the universe, studying the large-scale structure of the universe, and measuring the brightness of distant supernovae. The study of dark energy is an ongoing and active area of research in astrophysics.

5. Can dark energy be created or destroyed?

Currently, there is no known way to create or destroy dark energy. It is believed to be a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be created or destroyed by any known physical processes. However, our understanding of dark energy is still limited, and further research may provide new insights into its nature and behavior.