Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data stolen from National Nuclear Security Administration

1. Jun 14, 2006 #1
    Government workers are sleeping at the wheel. Why in Gods name would information on a National Nuclear Security Administration's computer be hackable? Perhaps the NSA should use their high tech equipment to take a closer look at other federal government agencies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/09/AR2006060901505.html

This data theft goes far beyond the possibility of identiity theft. By showing who and where the Nuclear weapons contract workers are, it shows where the weapons complexes are.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 14, 2006 #3
    Err, the NSA is a different agency from the NNSA. The former is under the DoD (I think) and does communications and cryptography stuff, the latter is under the DOE and mainly oversees nuclear weapons.

Just to get that straight...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  5. Jun 14, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet another! In the last 2 months my SS info and more has been in 2 different stolen laptops. A Fidelity employee lost a laptop with ALL of HP employes info and sepetely a VA emploee lost a laptop with Vets info.

What is going on?

6. Jun 14, 2006 #5
    I always had that straight. And that is part of the problem; too many agencies who can't communicate with each other, and each of them using their own data (or lack of) sucurity methods. Having information stolen from the National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE), should be a high priority for the National Security Agency (DOD).

This information stolen pertained to nuclear weapons belonging to the DOD not nuclear energy. The security of nuclear weapons is every bit as important as domestic surveillance.:rolleyes:

If the DOE can't keep its own national nuclear security information secret and untouched by outside hands, perhaps they need some supervision.

Hurky's link indicated that the NSA had started probing the DOD computers for weaknesses as early as 1997. Apparently they ignored the DOE. And once again someone dropped the ball and waited over six months to report it.

7. Jun 14, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah this was already posted a week ago...

false, read the article.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123375

I dont know if it really required a lock however...

8. Jun 14, 2006 #7
    Nuclear weapons definitly belong to the DOD! Did you ever see a recall run the 52's used to make. I have. There were planes in the air headed for Russia at all times. They turned around at the last minute and headed back provided they got the radio recall.

They were'nt carrying candy bars from the DOE. They were carrying nukes from the DOD. Either way it is a matter of semantics, The DOE lost information.

And the fact that the information was lost is the real point. Have the boy scouts take care of it if you wish.:rolleyes: I personally would rather see a more capable agency take charge of the situation.

Bear in mind anyone with the name, social security number, and location of a contract worker could possibly take that persons work identity and gain access to nuclear weapons.

When I worked for Martin in the 80's I had to sign a vow that I would sacrifice myself and/or my family to prevent this type of incident from happening. God you kids have it made. You just go ahead and play your own little version of "who's on first".

But in the end, the data was still lost by an agency who should have done a better job of protecting it. OK so pick it apart! The data will still be lost!

9. Jun 14, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They have names and SSN's, hardly the information necessary to gain access to nuclear weaponry and national secrets. Stay on topic.

10. Jun 14, 2006 #9

I am on topic. Give me your name and SS number and I will easily find you. It wouldn't mean diddlly squat if just another 1500 ordinary people had lost personal info. The VA lost the data of 25 million. Many of the people in the DOE incident will be carrying identification cards that give them access to nuclear information and weapons. Dam I have been there and done that.

OH God forget it. I can see now how these things happen.:rolleyes:

11. Jun 15, 2006 #10
    I think what is going on with ordinary people is that our personal info is spread so widely. A lot of banks are outsourcing their data processing and billing, both in and out of the country. Employers are outsourcing payroll to companies that do only payroll. Even my credit union has started outsouricng their data processing and credit card billing. I originally went with the Credit union to avoid just that.

But it is more than just that. We seem to have a generation of workers who don't have a clue about security, and employers who are trying to save a buck. When my wife was a bank employee all personal information files had to have two persons present to be opened. Security procedures like "Single point of entry" and "Dual control" have dissappeared and individuals are running around out there with their laptops full of our personal data.

12. Jul 9, 2006 #11
    It is getting to the point where government computer information access or theft hardly makes the news. The little tidbit below was on page nine of my local paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202406,00.html

Again I think that our personal information is too widely spread. This particular case is an incident that is a great example of what can happen when a single person has access to vital information. This guy was working for an outsourced civialian contractor. The FBI used to be capable of doing this type of work in house.

Once the outsourcing starts the skills are lost, and that goes for the federal government as well as industry in general.

When everything was hard copy there was always dual control on classified information. Two people should have been working in close proximity to each other on this project. And yes that means two people with security clearances.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  13. Jul 9, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Administrative stuff as NNSA is apparently on unsecure systems, possibly in computers which are connected a network, which is connected to the Internet.

The nuclear weapons designs and technology are supposed to be on isolated computers in specially designed vaults, and generally one does not transport anything in or out of that vault without approval. Clearly data/reports have to be transported in and out.

Knowing who does what could be valuable to someone.

While DOD controls the disposition of nuclear weapons, the design and construction is handled by DOE/NNSA, which appears to be much less secure than it should be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?