Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC motor armature winding question

1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am rewinding the armature for a burned up winch motor. This tutorial ( http://scootersupport.com/motorrewind.htm ) shows basically the exact same motor (but for scooters). The picture motor5.jpg shows the armature.

My question is, please help me to understand- each coil around the armature is 5 channels wide, so wouldn't the route be 1-2-48-4 instead of 1-2-3-4, because 2-4 makes only 4 channels, when there should be 5?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2011 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i suggest you unwind the old motor carefully and understand how it was wound, replicate that pattern.

there's various schemes - "lap" or "wave" wound

and it might make more than one turn before returning to next commutator segment.

4. Dec 26, 2011 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

The diagram below shows what happens to the wire when it goes through the slot to the other end of the armature.

In fact, each coil skips two channels and comes back in the third one clockwise from its start.

Start from commutator slot 1 (at the top) and work around following the arrows.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/armature%20winding.PNG [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Dec 26, 2011 #4
    Than you very much for the information. The problem is that the wires were so burned up, I managed to get an idea on how the wires were wound, but that's about it. I know that in my particular motor, I had 8 wraps of wire par coil, and each coil was spread across 5 channels, using two channels with 3 empty channels in the center.

vk6kro, thank you for taking the time to draw that. Looking at it like that, my armature is a little different. It looks like my coils use 5 channels, and this drawing uses only 4. I will have to adjust for that.

6. Dec 26, 2011 #5

vk6kro

Science Advisor

This isn't your armature?

The idea should be similar, though.

If you take the loop between points 2 and 3, there would be a number of turns of wire down the same two channels before it makes a connection at each end.

However it is usually a simple pattern repeated many times, so you may be able to salvage enough of your winding to rewind it. It doesn't matter that the wires were burnt, you can still work off the copper.

Good luck. Rewinding motors is a fast track to insanity.

7. Dec 26, 2011 #6
    I am starting to see that! I have a very similar armature out of a small starter motor but it looks like it has 2 different wraps, one going one way, and another going the other way, instead of wound in one big rotation.

I did try repairing the burned up wires. It worked, actually, for about a second, then the rotational force of the armature threw the wires into the magnets and tore it up. It still worked, though even after that.

8. Dec 26, 2011 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

indeed vk6kro speaks truth. it will be a repetitive pattern.

the end view drawing is handy

but it might be useful for you to make a linear drawing, if only to crystallize it in your mind.

take a LONG sheet of paper - i use freezer paper, plastic on one side and white paper on other

- and draw all the slots of your rotor as if you had unwrapped (skinned) it and nailed the skin to a plank. add commutator segments as in a top view...

now start drawing your wires as you found them on the rotor , from commutator through whatever slots it traverses back to commutator, and your 5 slot pattern should soon emerge.

it will be a very regular pattern .

successful rewind deserves an award - a set of wings or something.

old jim

9. Dec 26, 2011 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yes - it's important to secure the conductors against movement. i used spar varnish and braided dacron fishing line - not the cheap monofilament but good tournament line, 40 lb i think. just be aware that the actual force is pushing on the conductors, that's why they're wound tight and in bigger machines held by blocks. i used thick marine varnish sorta as a filler to make a solid mass of the windings and the fishing line as wrap around ends to hold them in against centrifugal..

i notice your picture has sixteen rotor slots and four brushes.
    you said in your armature the coil spans five slots? Maybe there's twenty slots, 5 per brush vs 4? look for the rythm in how it's wound.

do some research on lap vs wave wound , it sounds like that's what you're seeing.

old jim

10. Dec 26, 2011 #9

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Another essential trick is to make a wooden (or other) template to wind your coils on.

This allows you to wind the coils outside the motor and just press them into position.

Winding coils directly into the slots runs the risk of scraping the insulation off the wire in places and causing future troubles with short circuits, corrosion and arcing.

When you pull it to bits, preserve all the little bits of insulation you can. Especially the ones that go across the top of the gap to stop the coils spinning out and hitting the field coil metal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook