1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE question, how can I use straight line trajectories to come up with

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    Ok, so this is a differential equation question.
    How can I use the eigenvectors/eigenvalues to find the formulas for straight line trajectories and from those formulas that I come up with, how can I alter them so as to start at any given point that I would like them to (like with starter data)?

I know that I can come up with the straight line trajectories starting at the tips of the eigenvectors using:

{x1[t_], y1[t_]} = eigenvector[1] E^(eigenvalue[1] t)
    {x2[t_], y2[t_]} = eigenvector[2] E^(eigenvalue[2] t)

Using the above, then if I want my solution plots to obey certain starter data, say x[0] = A, y[0] = B,
    What do I have to do to the above to make the by solution plots start at those values?
    Any suggested reading or videos on the subject to get a good understanding of it?

Thanks for any help,
    -James

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2
    Ok, so I figured it out:

If you have a DE system that is linear, then if we know eigenvalue and eigenvectors of a coefficient matrix A, we know that trajectory plots starting at the ends of the eigenvectors will be:

{x1[t_], y1[t_]} = eigenvector[1] E^(eigenvalue[1] t)
    {x2[t_], y2[t_]} = eigenvector[2] E^(eigenvalue[2] t)

These will go with the flow. However, if we would like to start at any point, then we can say:

{x[t],y[t]} = C1 {x1[t], y1[t]} + C2 {x2[t], y2[t]}
    where C1 and C2 are chosen, based off of the coefficients of {x1[t], y1[t]} and {x2[t], y2[t]} such that the resulting coefficients will be where you want the trajectory to start.
    This is all possible because the system is linear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted