Dean of the Dept. Teaching My Class

In summary, the speaker is an engineering major at a university and is concerned about being recognized by the Dean of the Engineering Department as a good student and hard worker. They are hoping this will increase their chances of being considered for scholarships within the department. They are unsure of the best way to get noticed without being overly assertive or creepy. One suggestion is to fake it by taking acting classes, while the other is to simply work hard and let their accomplishments speak for themselves.
camdenreslink
I am an engineering major at a large research university. This upcoming fall, one of my classes is taught by the Dean of the Engineering Department. Almost all scholarships within the engineering department are "selected by faculty," without an application process, so my impression could have monetary consequences.

How can I make it so he recognizes me as a good student, and a hard worker? I'm only just starting my sophomore year, so if the dean of my department can connect my face with my name, it could be a good thing if my name pops up on a list for scholarship consideration within the next couple of years.

I don't want to be creepy assertive and friendly though, which is why I ask: "What is the most appropriate way to go about getting noticed by your professor?"

Physics news on Phys.org
you have two options

1. take acting classes and FAKE IT that you're a hard worker and good student.

2. just be a good student and work hard.

I don't think there's anything else. Flaunt it enough so he notices too xD

What are the responsibilities of a Dean of the Department teaching my class?

The Dean of the Department teaching your class is responsible for overseeing the academic programs, faculty, and students within the department. They are also responsible for ensuring the department is meeting its goals and objectives, managing the department's budget, and representing the department at a higher administrative level.

What qualifications does the Dean of the Department teaching my class have?

The qualifications of a Dean of the Department teaching your class vary depending on the institution, but generally they have a doctoral degree in a related field and extensive experience in academia. They also usually have a strong background in teaching, research, and leadership.

What is the role of the Dean of the Department in my class?

The role of the Dean of the Department in your class is to provide oversight and guidance to the faculty member teaching the class. They may also be involved in curriculum development, setting academic standards, and ensuring the department is meeting accreditation requirements.

How does the Dean of the Department ensure the quality of teaching in my class?

The Dean of the Department ensures the quality of teaching in your class by conducting regular evaluations of faculty performance, providing professional development opportunities for faculty, and monitoring student feedback and performance in the class. They may also observe classes and provide feedback to the faculty member.

What is the process for addressing any concerns or issues with the Dean of the Department teaching my class?

If you have any concerns or issues with the Dean of the Department teaching your class, you should first try to address them directly with the Dean. If that does not resolve the issue, you can bring it to the attention of the department chair or other higher administrative officials. Most institutions also have a formal process for filing complaints or grievances.