Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debroglie wavelength of a baseball

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    ok can someone please explain to me why this is wrong? debroglie of a baseball weighing 1kg is h/(1kg * v). You through this at a double slit at 10^-34 m/s which makes the wavelength equal to 6.63 meters. for a double slit its d*sin(theta) = m * (wavelength) so you get theta = sin^-1(6.63/d). If the distance between the slits is 12 meters, you get a theta of 33.5 degrees for the first maxima. After sending a lot of baseballs through there should be a very noticeable diffraction pattern right? I know this would take 3 * 10 ^26 years to get one baseball through, but it could be done with something smaller than a baseball thats still visible.. and anyway, it cant be true that there would be a diffraction pattern from this. I mean, baseballs being shot at two slit thats are 12 meters apart? theyre going to hit the part in between them right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the uncertainty in position when you know that the baseball is moving at 10^(-34)m ?

4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    you dont know exactly how fast it is moving. In fact, the uncertainty of the speed is higher than the position since u can see the thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?