1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debroglie wavelength of a baseball

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    ok can someone please explain to me why this is wrong? debroglie of a baseball weighing 1kg is h/(1kg * v). You through this at a double slit at 10^-34 m/s which makes the wavelength equal to 6.63 meters. for a double slit its d*sin(theta) = m * (wavelength) so you get theta = sin^-1(6.63/d). If the distance between the slits is 12 meters, you get a theta of 33.5 degrees for the first maxima. After sending a lot of baseballs through there should be a very noticeable diffraction pattern right? I know this would take 3 * 10 ^26 years to get one baseball through, but it could be done with something smaller than a baseball thats still visible.. and anyway, it cant be true that there would be a diffraction pattern from this. I mean, baseballs being shot at two slit thats are 12 meters apart? theyre going to hit the part in between them right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the uncertainty in position when you know that the baseball is moving at 10^(-34)m ?

4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    you dont know exactly how fast it is moving. In fact, the uncertainty of the speed is higher than the position since u can see the thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?