Debunking the Existence and Duration of Virtual Particles

In summary: I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say)Yes, it is problem.Until and unless the suggested entity is experimentally found to be plausible its existence is doubtful.Yes, it is problem.Until and unless the suggested entity is experimentally found to be plausible its existence is doubtful.
Lapidus said:
Vanadium, how are interactions mediated in a relativistic and quantum physical theory? When you have a negative charge sitting here and a positive sitting over there, how is the attraction mediated? Don't tell me by the electromagnetic field, since I ask for a quantum realtivistic explanation.

You're going to be disappointed, because the quantum relativistic explanation is something called Quantum Field Theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I thought it was Quantum field theory...

But let me point out once more.

In quantum mechanics we have a superposition of states before we measure. After the measurement one state is realized. For example an electron is assigned a position or a momentum.

When we clash particles at realtivistic speeds, we want to measure what particles go out after the collision of the particles which went in.

In both scenarios, non relativistic or relativistic, we have probability amplitudes for what will measure and we have intermediate states between preparation and measurement of our experiment.

In both cases we have superposition of states between measurements and 'real' measureable outcomes after measurement. Difference is that in the non relativistic case the observables of a singel particle (or a those of a fixed number of particles) are uncertain, whereas in the relativistic case also the number and even type of the particle is uncertain before we measure it.

When we measure more precise and clash particles harder, all types and numbers of particles come out/ are realized/ are made real. One of the (infinite) many states that were 'virtual' there prior measurement becomes real. All the other intermediate states , just as in quantum mechanics, even if they are not measured and "are not there" classically, are important for computing the probablity outcomes of what we measure and because of that part of physical reality.

Last edited:
But the virtual particle is nothing like such an intermediate state in quantum mechanics, it is just a line in a Feynman diagram.

Lapidus said:
When we measure more precise and clash particles harder, all types and numbers of particles come out/ are realized/ are made real. One of the (infinite) many states that were 'virtual' there prior measurement becomes real. All the other intermediate states , just as in quantum mechanics, even if they are not measured and "are not there" classically, are important for computing the probablity outcomes of what we measure and because of that part of physical reality.

This is bizarre! :redface:

Yes, when eg we collide an electron and a positron with so much energy that any particle up to the mass of a W can be formed, then of course we can say that until a particle is observed, there is a superposition of states, not only of different velocities etc, but also of different types (eg electron, muon, W).

However, each such state is of a real muon, or a real W etc … they have exactly the correct mass (ie they are on-shell)

… they are not hovering in some superpositional limbo, praying for that little bit of extra mass that will get them on-shell …

they are all fully-formed, and praying "look at me, I'm ready, I'm perfect … choose me! choose ME!" o:)

tiny-tim said:

Yes, when eg we collide an electron and a positron with so much energy that any particle up to the mass of a W can be formed, then of course we can say that until a particle is observed, there is a superposition of states, not only of different velocities etc, but also of different types (eg electron, muon, W).

However, each such state is of a real muon, or a real W etc … they have exactly the correct mass (ie they are on-shell)

… they are not hovering in some superpositional limbo, praying for that little bit of extra mass that will get them on-shell …

they are all fully-formed, and praying "look at me, I'm ready, I'm perfect … choose me! choose ME!" o:)

Electron! I choose you!

I have always found this clear and convincing.

http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/topics/virtual"

I tried to see if I could find this in the thread but I don't think anyone has posted this... read through the whole thing and I think it covers almost all the questions begin asked here of virtual particles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:

For free particles, that might be true. But they don't occur in the real world, they are mathematical idealization. For interacting fields, i.e. physical quantum fields, the situation is just as I described it.

If any of your guys can give an relativistic quantum phyical explanation of interactions without virtual states, perhaps one that might do better than just saying the word quantum field theory, and also give a reasonig what physical mechanism forbids virtual processes, I would be delighted. Though, I gave up believing that this going to happen.

For the meantime, I stick with Randall, Jackson, Wilczek, Susskind, etc. and go with the general accepted view.

thanks​

Last edited:
dm4b said:
Ahh, I get ya. Agreed.

Hey, here's another argument for virtual particles I never had a good answer for. Maybe somebody else on here does.

Take two electrons moving toward each other. Ultimately, they will repel each other without ever actually coming into contact. Their momentum has changed as a result.

Well, when you do the whole Feynman diagram thing, the virtual particles, or internal lines, are pretty important in keeping track of, and making sure momentum is conserved.

So, you often hear folks say that the virtual particles provide "momentum transfer" between the two electrons, or some sort of wording along those lines. And, that alone has to establish some reality to them.

What's a good argument against this line of reasoning?

Bump.

Anybody? ... Anyone ... Bueller? ;-)

jfy4 said:

I tried to see if I could find this in the thread but I don't think anyone has posted this... read through the whole thing and I think it covers almost all the questions begin asked here of virtual particles.

Hope this helps.

If this is so clear and convincing, maybe you can tell us how interactions are mediated. The other posters are a bit shy and reluctant on that issue.

This link is completely useless. Virtual processes have nothing originally to do with perturbation theory, as this claims.

They are a general feature of quantum field theory.

dm4b said:
Bump.

Anybody? ... Anyone ... Bueller? ;-)

Well, when you do the whole Feynman diagram thing, the virtual particles, or internal lines, are pretty important in keeping track of, and making sure momentum is conserved.

So, you often hear folks say that the virtual particles provide "momentum transfer" between the two electrons, or some sort of wording along those lines. And, that alone has to establish some reality to them.

What's a good argument against this line of reasoning?

How about, "Well, don't do the whole Feynman thing, with the virtual particles, or internal lines, you can do it another way. Doesn't that alone establish that they are superfluous, and artificial?"

I think that would hold them off...

What do you think?

jfy4 said:
How about, "Well, don't do the whole Feynman thing, with the virtual particles, or internal lines, you can do it another way. Doesn't that alone establish that they are superfluous, and artificial?"

I think that would hold them off...

What do you think?

Without another "physical" picture showing how the momentum of the electrons were changed, I don't think that's going to do it.

If you take billard balls that come into contact with each (almost elastically) momentum is real easy to picture.

But, with two electrons that never actually touch, but defelect each other, not so easy.

I think what would hold them off ... would be a physical model of what is going on with the electrons? An actual "mechanism". The virtual particle thing does this nicely ... but I've never actually seen a specific alternative to them offered up?

Also, the fact that momentum is actually assigned to virtual particles within the diagrams, can make them appear to be more than superfluous.

Basically, I think the question is: how does a field impart momentum to the electron (without making any reference to virtual particles)?

Lapidus said:
If this is so clear and convincing, maybe you can tell us how interactions are mediated.

[itex]\implies[/itex] "if no other explanation is currently available, this must be the way it is."

I think you should read this page from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance"

besides that, I think you are a little naive on different methods for calculations in quantum theory, they do not all use virtual particles, and the ones that do would say (if virtual particles existed) that the virtual particles do different things in calculations for the same quantity being predicted... yet these methods maintain many of the same results. This demonstrates that their existence is simply artificial.

How about this analogy? I want to calculate (a+b)n. The coefficients are those in Pascal's triangle, and correspond to the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialCoefficient.html" which have to do with choosing k out of n objects. These are my virtual objects. Are they real?

jfy4 said:

Hope this helps.

I did a quick read of this paper, and it didn't seem all that decisive to me. In fact, it adds to the question I asked above related to momentum. from the paper:

"it allows one in the simplest (H-like) exchange
diagram between two real particles to relate the possible momenta
of the virtual particle to the measurable ingoing and outgoing momenta.
If the ingoing momenta are p and p' then the outgoing momenta are
p+q and p'-q, where q is the momentum exchanged, i..e, the momentum
transported by the virtual particle. In particular, one can determine
q from measurements."

How can you say something transports momentum, q, that can be determined from exeriments, while in the same breath say that something has no reality to it? This is where an alternative physical picture is needed!

Much of the argument in the rest of the paper seems to be summed up by this:

"None of these speculative aspects can be verified by experiment, which
places them outside the realm of science and into the realm of fiction."

Is reality really restricted by what we can experiment upon? I don't think that is the best argument, either. If it is, String Theory may be in a heap of trouble.

Also, I disagree with this from the paper:

"People are sometimes invoking Heisenberg's uncertainty relation that
allegedly allows the violation of conservation of energy for a very
short time, thus apparently making room for seemingly nonphysical
processes. However, the uncertainty relation is based on the existence
of operators satisfying the canonical commutation rule, and while
there are such operators for spatial position and spatial momentum,
there are no such operators for time and energy, or for 4-position
and 4-momentum. Indeed, there is no time operator in either quantum
mechanics or quantum field theory, and since the energy operator (the
Hamiltonian) of a physical system is always bounded below, it cannot
be part of a pair of operators satisfying the canonical commutation
rule. Therefore the time-energy uncertainty relation is without a
formal basis. "

Although you cannot derive an energy-time uncertainty relation directly from the usual Generalized Uncertainty Principle for non-commuting operators, an uncertainty-like relation between time and energy DOES still exist. And, it has real effects that factor into astrophysics via widening of absorption/emission lines, for one example.

dm4b said:
Much of the argument in the rest of the paper seems to be summed up by this:

"None of these speculative aspects can be verified by experiment, which
places them outside the realm of science and into the realm of fiction."

Is reality really restricted by what we can experiment upon?
I think yes, but let's assume "no", eh?

You can't even have a theory about virtual photons... meanwhile, there is a quantum theory of light (notice for real photons). Just as the article said, you can't have a state vector for a VP, you can't create or destroy a VP, there is no structure around their "existence"! However, I'm sure a whole theoretical framework around VPs would be greatly appreciated by the physics community, as well as by me.

Then I ask, to what end do we continue to talk about them? And I don't mind, just as long as we are nice about it.

I don't think that is the best argument, either. If it is, String Theory may be in a heap of trouble.
Off topic, and I might get some people upset, but I think String Theory is in trouble...

jfy4 said:

You can't even have a theory about virtual photons... meanwhile, there is a quantum theory of light (notice for real photons). Just as the article said, you can't have a state vector for a VP, you can't create or destroy a VP, there is no structure around their "existence"! However, I'm sure a whole theoretical framework around VPs would be greatly appreciated by the physics community, as well as by me.

Then I ask, to what end do we continue to talk about them? And I don't mind, just as long as we are nice about it.

Off topic, and I might get some people upset, but I think String Theory is in trouble...

does quantum entanglement allow particles to travel faster than light?

jfy4 said:

I agree with everything you said (including the String Theory part, lol)

Let's assume virtual photons are "real" and that they really do "mediate" the message of the force? Well, what the heck would that really mean?

It seems real nice to have the virtual particles around for something to visualize, but if you dig deeper it gets real murky.

Virtual particles would seemingly carry the "information" of the field. Every other "information carrier" in the Universe is accessible to physical description and experimentation. These ones wouldn't be, and they would lend no clear explanation as to HOW they carry that information, from what I can tell. Why would a virtual photon tell one particle "repel" and another "attract"? And, by what mechanism? How is that message "encoded" in the VPs? No explanation, no theory on that.

It's just that it seems there are some unaswered questions w/o VPs, at the same time.

I guess what seems like a valuable path for discussion is alternative physical views that do not include them. Not just abstract math, but an actual physical explanation of what is going on in some of the scenarios mentioned in this thread. Give people an alternative to virtual particles and they might let go of the concept. I'm getting the feeling though, that this is not forthcoming at this point in physics.

Lapidus said:
If this is so clear and convincing, maybe you can tell us how interactions are mediated. The other posters are a bit shy and reluctant on that issue.

This link is completely useless. Virtual processes have nothing originally to do with perturbation theory, as this claims.

They are a general feature of quantum field theory.

"Virtual processes have nothing to do with perturbation theory"?

If quotes are your thing, try Peskin and Schroeder, p5. :
"Feynman invented a beautiful way to organize and visualize the perturbation series: the method of Feynman diagrams".
The only definition of a virtual particle given is that it's whatever the internal lines in Feynman diagrams correspond to.

For evidence that one shouldn't take linguistic shorthands too seriously, see also e.g. their discussion of ghosts on p.517:
"...the amplitude for the ghost-antighost pair to annihilate into fermions is equal to..."

Surely you wouldn't regard ghosts as physically real?

Or how about this from Zee:
"Feynman diagrams are just an extremely convenient way of representing the terms in a double series expansion of Z(J) in \lambda and J."

As to the question of how interactions are mediated: by fields. If you really think that particles fly backwards and forwards between interacting particles, how many photons are actually exchanged when two electrons scatter off each other? If it's some definite finite number, why do all the higher orders in perturbation theory help describe the process better? If it isn't, why say that there are particles there, rather than something a bit more subtle?

byron178 said:
does quantum entanglement allow particles to travel faster than light?

That's the second time you've asked that in this thread, which is strange, as it was answered the first time and has nothing to do with this thread, which makes you sound like a troll.

I'm amazed this thread has gotten this far without being locked to be honest. Does anyone really hold any hope that a productive discussion is going to follow all this?

Last edited:
I want to add a question concerned with the distinction between real and virtual particles. This comes from a particle phenomenologist's viewpoint -namely from Griffiths' nice book- and without serious knowledge of quantum field theory on my part. So I'm glad to learn something new.

Griffiths writes: "You might say, that a real particle is a virtual particle that lasts long enough that we don't care to inquire how it was produced or how it is eventually absorbed." Whenever we detect a photon, it has to have been emitted by a source. His argument is, that this process as a whole corresponds to a Møller-scattering-like Feynman diagram. So the difference between real, detectable photons and virtual photons would simply be the timescale, determined by how off-shell the photon is. And in the case of real photons, the whole process "interaction between emitter and detector" could be approximated by the two processes "emission of a real photon" and "detection of a real photon".

[source: second footnote on page 65, available in poorly readable quality on google books]

muppet said:
As to the question of how interactions are mediated: by fields.

Quantum fields, Muppet.

How is the momentum transferred between two charges at a distance? When they repel or attract each other, momentum is exchanged. By what magic does that happen? By writing down the word field in boldface? How is a field more observable and less magic than a swarm of virtual particles, only that the latter can give a physical description how a force is transmitted over a distance.

How do we understand static fields quantum physically?

I asked again and again and again and again and again in this thread...but no answer.

And the quotes you gave all refer how Feynman diagrams give pictures to perturbation theory. I argue that they have nothing in the first place to do with perturbation theory (and thereby with Feynman diagrams). They originate from the simple reasoning that given the energy-time relation from quantum physics and the mass-energy relation from relativity and combining these two, nothing forbids crazy, unmeasurable, intermediate states where quantum particles pop in and pop out of exictence.

Which was question number two: what physics forbids that?

Also that, I asked again and again and again and again and again in this thread...but no answer.

If you really think that particles fly backwards and forwards between interacting particles, how many photons are actually exchanged when two electrons scatter off each other?

They are quantum particles, except being 'virtual', they are as crazy as the 'real' ones. Do real photons fly around like classical particles? And how many degrees of freedom does your field have?

kith said:
I want to add a question concerned with the distinction between real and virtual particles. This comes from a particle phenomenologist's viewpoint -namely from Griffiths' nice book- and without serious knowledge of quantum field theory on my part. So I'm glad to learn something new.

Griffiths writes: "You might say, that a real particle is a virtual particle that lasts long enough that we don't care to inquire how it was produced or how it is eventually absorbed." Whenever we detect a photon, it has to have been emitted by a source. His argument is, that this process as a whole corresponds to a Møller-scattering-like Feynman diagram. So the difference between real, detectable photons and virtual photons would simply be the timescale, determined by how off-shell the photon is. And in the case of real photons, the whole process "interaction between emitter and detector" could be approximated by the two processes "emission of a real photon" and "detection of a real photon".

[source: second footnote on page 65, available in poorly readable quality on google books]

Was there a question here? :tongue:
I may have spoken too soon about there being no further productive conversations to be had though :approve:

As far as I understand it, the whole point of the S-matrix approach is that when you bang two particles together after their having been widely separated, the time interval for which they aren't well approximated by free particle states is negligible, say ~10^{-10} seconds.

A property of quantum field theory is that it satisfies the cluster decomposition principle, which is basically just the statement that the S-matrix amplitude for two well-separated processes factorises into S-matrix elements for the individual processes. So thinking about this in terms of a diagrammatic description of photon emission processes in a lightbulb followed by absorption processes in a human eye, you'd expect the intermediate photons to be pretty well on-shell, which corresponds to the EM field obeying Maxwell's equations to good approximation over macroscopic scales, which is a Good Thing.

The question, to my mind, is really this: how well does our concept of some n-particle state really describe the behaviour of the underlying field? In the absence of interactions, the answer is "fine". In the strongly interacting regime, with indeterminate numbers of off-shell particles, the answer isn't so obviously in the affirmative.

Lapidus said:
nothing forbids crazy, unmeasurable, intermediate states where quantum particles pop in and pop out of exictence.

?

you just reminded me of a somewhat old saying in physics:

"Everything not forbidden is compulsory". Gell-Mann, IIRC.

Lapidus said:
Quantum fields, Muppet.

How is the momentum transferred between two charges at a distance? When they repel or attract each other, momentum is exchanged. By what magic does that happen? By writing down the word field in boldface? How is a field more observable and less magic than a swarm of virtual particles, only that the latter can give a physical description how a force is transmitted over a distance.

There's no conceptual problem with fields carrying momentum; with each field in the Lagrangian of the theory you can associate a momentum density. The whole point of fields in classical physics is to avoid the action at a distance problem by allowing a local source of force, and in any relativistic field theory momentum will be transferred at a speed less than that of light. The utility of typographical legerdemain is strictly pedagogical. And the quantum mechanical description of such fields proceeds by establishing a correspondence between the classical description and operators in Hilbert space, or performing weighted integrals over field configurations, in exact analogy to the quantum mechanical description of particles.

And the quotes you gave all refer how Feynman diagrams give pictures to perturbation theory. I argue that they have nothing in the first place to do with perturbation theory (and thereby with Feynman diagrams). They originate from the simple reasoning that given the energy-time relation from quantum physics and the mass-energy relation from relativity and combining these two, nothing forbids crazy, unmeasurable, intermediate states where quantum particles pop in and pop out of exictence.

Which was question number two: what physics forbids that?
So you're taking, as your definition of a virtual particle, a physical object carrying the same quantum numbers as some particle, but being off-shell. Or something like that. The usual definition is couched in terms of Feynman diagrams, but never mind.
I'm saying that in the regime where such objects might exist, the concept of "particle" isn't necessarily that useful any more. The point of your above paragraph seems to suggest to me that you have a conceptual preference for fields over particles, which is natural enough, but if I picture a swarm of particles, I picture exactly that; I don't picture a superposition of one and two and all other integer particle states. I don't, however, claim that my picture is ontologically sound. If I picture a proton flying down the tunnel in the LHC, that's a useful picture because it's in some approximate correspondence with reality, and gives me a starting point for when I want to compute whereabouts in the tunnel it is using Newtonian physics. If I picture light diffracting though a grating, it's mentally much more comfortable to think about fields that obey Maxwell's equations than swarms of photons in an existential crisis.

Now, in the case of NRQM, one attributes this wavelike character to an individual electron (say) state. But in that case, the concept of particle still has some use- the number of particles is a quantum number that commutes with the Hamiltonian, and tells me how much my state weighs, and what kind of charge it carries, and guides me as to exactly what Schrodinger equation I should be solving. None of this really holds in the strong interaction regime.

As an aside, I think the book by Griffiths mentioned above contains the phrase "Whenever a physicist invokes the uncertainty principle, keep your hand on your wallet" :rolleyes: Classical relativity contains no mechanism by which mass can be transformed into energy whatever; it's quantum field theory that gives you antiparticles and processes that change the particle type, and it does so in a very precise way.

muppet, I like your responses very much. I was just about writing a very similar answer, but you hit it first.

muppet said:
There's no conceptual problem with fields carrying momentum; with each field in the Lagrangian of the theory you can associate a momentum density.

Thanks for that post, Muppet! I feel, after 233 posts you are the first one who responded really to my concerns...much appreciated, will take a closer look at what you said. I also like that, as I understand, you somewhat and a very little consent that it might have interpretational aspects.

Since you appear very knowledgeable and as long as you are around, I have another question, and not for the sake of an argument, but since I want to clear this up:

What are the intermediate states between measurements like in QFT? How do they differ from those in NRQM?

You can guess my leaning, but what do you say?

thanks

Lapidus said:
Quantum fields, Muppet.

I asked again and again and again and again and again in this thread...but no answer.

They are quantum particles, except being 'virtual', they are as crazy as the 'real' ones. Do real photons fly around like classical particles? And how many degrees of freedom does your field have?

You answered your own question... A quantum field is responsible. There is whole theory, with a rich structure, that is experimentally well verified, called Quantum Field Theory, where it is crucial that all three of those words be bolded. Notice, there is not a theory or any structure, surrounding virtual particles, and no experimental evidence for them. There is not a theory about, say, virtual photons, nor can I set up a diffraction grating and observe a virtual photon diffract. However there is a rich and experimentally well verified theory called the quantum theory of light, or photons. These virtual particles may be as crazy as "real" ones, but they are also crazier, since they are, as of now, undetectable, and cannot, as of now, be formulated into a coherent theory (But it would be great if you, or someone else could make this happen). Both of these would be required if anyone is going to consider these particles as being real, and take them seriously.

Notice, the converse, about real particles, is true! There is a theory for fields being responsible for the dynamics of particles, and it does not require virtual particles! Hence, they cannot be a necessary condition, and are superfluous.

As far as your argument that one can use the Uncertainty Relations to explain their existence, I suppose this is somewhat arguable, since, while the uncertainty relations have no formal basis, they do carry some experimental weight, and many people are attempting to include time into quantum mechanics in a formal and functioning way. However, while your argument accommodates the existence of virtual particles by exploiting the uncertainty relations, the depth of your argument (theory?) is exactly that deep. There is no other evidence, either theoretical, or experimental, that such a process is even taking place. You will notice also, you will be hard pressed to show that virtual particles are obeying this idea you have about the uncertainty relations, since you will find it hard to do and experiment on them to demonstrate this...

With all this being said, you have shown ample times throughout this thread that you refuse to acknowledge the facts on the table concerning the theory of quantum fields and the logical requirements of arguing against it (or entertaining what seems, as of now, as flights of fancy), I don't think I'm going to involve myself in this any more, I hope my post above has helped, and good luck.

In NRQM, finite-time dynamics (as well as scattering theory) is mathematically tractable, so you can compute the state of the system at any time (between measurements).

AFAIK, in most (interacting) QFT in 4 space-time dimensions, finite-time dynamics is harder to get, and many textbooks almost only treat scattering theory. But, in principle, you could compute the expectations of products of the fields at any space-time arguments. I have not done it, though.

jfy4 said:
With all this being said, you have shown ample times throughout this thread that you refuse to acknowledge the facts on the table concerning the theory of quantum fields and the logical requirements of arguing against it (or entertaining what seems, as of now, as flights of fancy), I don't think I'm going to involve myself in this any more, I hope my post above has helped, and good luck.

It helped. Well, if the answers would have been of the sorts you just provided, it would not have lasted 240 posts.

All I was saying was that there is independent of perturbation theory a very simple but physical sound reasoning why there could and should be so-called 'virtual' particles. If quantum physics is the marriage of QM and SR, then why not combining two basic equations from both theories?

All I got to hear was no, no, no, they are only internal lines of Feynamn graphs and my point was simply not addressed until yours and Muppet post.

so yes thanks again for that and good luck to you, too

Thanks for your comment, muppet.

Yet, I still don't understand why real particles are favoured over virtual ones. I try to summarize my current understanding.

Real particles are plane wave initial states. Interactions are described by the S-Matrix which produces plane wave final states again. Griffiths argues, that these idealized states do exist only approximatively, because every photon detected in an experiment has to have been emitted somewhere a finite time ago. So in this view, the long lived real photons mediate the interaction between far away objects (like emitter and detector) and virtual ones between near objects (like particle-particle scattering); there's no fundamental difference between real and virtual particles. What's wrong with this viewpoint?

Where do real particles arise in non-perturbative QFT if I include interactions (which are necessary for emission+absorption processes)? Maybe someone can sketch the typical approach and/or provide me a summary article or something like that because I'm not familiar with non-perturbative QFT at all.

[I hope there are enough actual questions in this post. ;)]

kith said:
Where do real particles arise in non-perturbative QFT if I include interactions (which are necessary for emission+absorption processes)? Maybe someone can sketch the typical approach and/or provide me a summary article or something like that because I'm not familiar with non-perturbative QFT at all.

[I hope there are enough actual questions in this post. ;)]

Check out the harmonic oscillator - remember the ladder operators for energy states.

Real particles come about in a similar manner on QFT - via creation and annihlilation operators.

One problem with Griffith's books is he "protects" you from some of the more difficult formalism of QFT, while introducing you to the flavor of the theory. But, as a result, some important considerations are left out. At least that is how I felt about it in the end. But, don't get me wrong, Griffiths books are always well written.

dm4b said:
Check out the harmonic oscillator - remember the ladder operators for energy states.

Real particles come about in a similar manner on QFT - via creation and annihlilation operators.
I can picture this in the free case. But if I have two interacting fields, can I still define meaningful creation/annihilation operators for the states of one field alone? Are the eigenstates of the free Hamiltonians still eigenstates of the complete Hamiltonian? So do in fact the "real" particles emerge from such a consideration? From what I know about QM I would guess no.

[Btw: I agree with your view on Griffiths' book. I really like it and I learned a lot for practical purposes, but still have many fundamental questions. But to answer these, I need to dig into much heavier stuff, it seems. ;)]

kith said:
Real particles are plane wave initial states. Interactions are described by the S-Matrix which produces plane wave final states again. Griffiths argues, that these idealized states do exist only approximatively, because every photon detected in an experiment has to have been emitted somewhere a finite time ago. So in this view, the long lived real photons mediate the interaction between far away objects (like emitter and detector) and virtual ones between near objects (like particle-particle scattering); there's no fundamental difference between real and virtual particles. What's wrong with this viewpoint?

As you said, real particles are described by states that consist of creation operators acting on the vacuum. This is not the case for virtual particles: They are not described by creation/annihilation operators, there is no S-matrix for them. But that's just how we define particles in quantum field theory, by operators acting on the vacuum. Virtual particles do not arise this way, the only reason one ever talks about them is because there are lines appearing in Feynman diagrams.

My ringside seat at this whole discussion tells me that Randall, et al, "...have some splainin' to do."

Recycling Asimov's old popular explanation, or simply invoking the Casimir effect clearly don't cut it.

Polyrhythmic said:
As you said, real particles are described by states that consist of creation operators acting on the vacuum. This is not the case for virtual particles: They are not described by creation/annihilation operators, there is no S-matrix for them. But that's just how we define particles in quantum field theory, by operators acting on the vacuum. Virtual particles do not arise this way, the only reason one ever talks about them is because there are lines appearing in Feynman diagrams.
I think Griffiths doesn't consider virtual and real particles the same because virtual particles are also fundamental in the sense you mentioned, but because real particles too are not fundamental, since they appear as eigenstates only for free fields which exist only approximatively.

Maybe I'm wrong here. I asked some more formal questions in post 241, which you probably missed.

kith said:
I can picture this in the free case. But if I have two interacting fields, can I still define meaningful creation/annihilation operators for the states of one field alone? Are the eigenstates of the free Hamiltonians still eigenstates of the complete Hamiltonian? So do in fact the "real" particles emerge from such a consideration? From what I know about QM I would guess no.

I'm not sure I understand your question. But, with interacting fields you'll still get creation and annihilation operators for those fields, which will correspond to real particles. As poly said, you never have creation/annihiliation operators for internal lines, or virutal particles.

kith said:
[Btw: I agree with your view on Griffiths' book. I really like it and I learned a lot for practical purposes, but still have many fundamental questions. But to answer these, I need to dig into much heavier stuff, it seems. ;)]

I found this a great next step:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

After that, or maybe along with it, Peskin And Schroeder makes a good read.