Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciphering Mouser's Line/Load Regulation Classifications?

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Am I the only person who gets really nitty-gritty about component selection? Well probably not, but I am having a bit of trouble picking out my power management ICs.

I am building a dual rail power supply. I guess you could call it that. It can do +/-12V and +/- 5V. It may be useful somewhere down the line.

So, the most I have every really done in electronics is a AA battery source, a cap, resistor, and maybe an LED or lightbulb. I am looking to change my ways here.

But regarding the ICs. I need a 7812, 7912, 7805, and 7905.

Here's a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Linear-Regulators-Standard/_/N-5cg9g?P=1z0w8gzZ1yzvdtq&Keyword=7812&FS=True [Broken]

Note Line Regulation and Load Regulation.

I didn't know either were measured in such a matter. I thought it was a percent or fraction or something.

In this case, would it be better to go for one with a higher or lower Load/Line Regulation for a more stable supply?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Line regulation is defined as the variation in output voltage for a specified variation in input voltage.

Load regulation is defined as the variation in output voltage for a specified variation in load current.

Generally lower values are preferable for both of these, but be aware that each will be measured under specific conditions (voltage/current variations) with a specific test circuit (input and output capacitors) and so direct comparisons of different devices could potentially be misleading.
  4. Jul 28, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook