Deciphering Mouser's Line/Load Regulation Classifications?

• Thread starter TheLaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regulation
In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of power management ICs for a dual rail power supply. The speaker is new to electronics and is seeking advice on which ICs to use. They provide a link to the specific ICs they need and ask about line and load regulation. It is recommended to choose ICs with lower values for both of these, but comparisons between different devices should be done carefully.
TheLaw
Am I the only person who gets really nitty-gritty about component selection? Well probably not, but I am having a bit of trouble picking out my power management ICs.

I am building a dual rail power supply. I guess you could call it that. It can do +/-12V and +/- 5V. It may be useful somewhere down the line.

So, the most I have every really done in electronics is a AA battery source, a cap, resistor, and maybe an LED or lightbulb. I am looking to change my ways here.

But regarding the ICs. I need a 7812, 7912, 7805, and 7905.

Here's a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Linear-Regulators-Standard/_/N-5cg9g?P=1z0w8gzZ1yzvdtq&Keyword=7812&FS=True [Broken]

Note Line Regulation and Load Regulation.

I didn't know either were measured in such a matter. I thought it was a percent or fraction or something.

In this case, would it be better to go for one with a higher or lower Load/Line Regulation for a more stable supply?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Line regulation is defined as the variation in output voltage for a specified variation in input voltage.

Load regulation is defined as the variation in output voltage for a specified variation in load current.

Generally lower values are preferable for both of these, but be aware that each will be measured under specific conditions (voltage/current variations) with a specific test circuit (input and output capacitors) and so direct comparisons of different devices could potentially be misleading.

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on there.

1. What is meant by "line/load regulation" in relation to Mouser's classifications?

Line/load regulation refers to the ability of a power supply to maintain a steady output voltage despite changes in the input voltage or the amount of current being drawn from the supply. This is an important factor in determining the reliability and stability of a power supply.

2. How does Mouser classify line/load regulation?

Mouser classifies line/load regulation using a letter code, ranging from A to J, with A being the best and J being the worst. This code is based on the deviation of the output voltage from the specified value, with smaller deviations indicating better regulation.

3. What is the difference between line regulation and load regulation?

Line regulation refers to the power supply's ability to maintain a steady output voltage when there are changes in the input voltage. Load regulation, on the other hand, refers to the power supply's ability to maintain a steady output voltage when there are changes in the amount of current being drawn from the supply.

4. How is line/load regulation important in choosing a power supply?

Line/load regulation is an important consideration in choosing a power supply because it directly affects the performance and stability of the electronic devices being powered. A power supply with good line/load regulation will provide a steady and reliable output voltage, which is crucial for the proper functioning of electronic components.

5. What are some factors that can affect line/load regulation?

There are several factors that can affect line/load regulation, including the quality and design of the power supply, the input voltage range, and the load conditions. Other factors such as temperature, aging of components, and electromagnetic interference can also impact line/load regulation. It is important to consider all of these factors when evaluating a power supply's line/load regulation capabilities.