Can you calulate a transformer secondary resistance by using load regulation %

In summary, to calculate the internal resistance of the secondary winding for a power supply circuit, you can use the formula Voltage * Regulation 10% to find the voltage difference between no-load and full load. Then, divide that value by the current (in amps) to get the secondary series resistance per winding. However, it is important to also take into account the primary resistance, which is reflected by the square of the turns ratio to the secondary. In a well-designed transformer, the reflected value of the primary resistance on the secondary side should be equal to the secondary intrinsic resistance. If this is not possible to measure, it is best to assume that both resistances are equal. This means that the secondary resistance should be taken as half of the
mp3streetpart
If I had a step down transformer of 300 VA in size at 45-0-45 Volts@3.3 Amps with a regulation of 10% could I do the following to calculate the internal resistance of the secondary winding for my power supply circuit?

Voltage * Regulation 10% to work out the voltage difference between noload and full load.

45 Volts* .1 = 4.5 volts

Secondary series resistance per winding
4.5 Volts/3.3 amps = 1.36 ohms

I know there is inductance as well but at the moment I am ignoring it.
I need to put values into circuit maker student edition to reflect the real world.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to take the primary resistance into account. It is reflected by the square of the turns ratio to the secondary, and is a quite significant contributor to regulation.

If a transformer is well designed, typically the reflected value of the primary resistance on the secondary side will be the same as the secondary intrinsic resistance (equal copper losses in both windings being the goal). Often this is close to the truth, but not always. However, in the absence of any possibility of measuring both windings' DC resistance, the best you can do is to take them to be equal.

Since both the secondary resistance AND the reflected primary resistance will contribute equally to the regulation (if the copper losses both windings are equal), you should take the secondary resistance to be half of your calculated value.

Ok I forgot about the primary resistance thanks for that.

1. What is transformer secondary resistance?

Transformer secondary resistance refers to the electrical resistance of the secondary winding of a transformer, which is the winding that delivers the output voltage.

2. How is transformer secondary resistance calculated?

Transformer secondary resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage drop across the secondary winding by the current flowing through it.

3. Can transformer secondary resistance be determined using load regulation percentage?

Yes, transformer secondary resistance can be calculated using load regulation percentage. Load regulation percentage is the change in output voltage of a transformer when the load on the secondary winding changes, and this can be used to calculate the secondary resistance.

4. Why is it important to calculate transformer secondary resistance?

Calculating transformer secondary resistance is important because it helps to determine the efficiency and performance of the transformer. It also allows for proper sizing and selection of transformers for specific applications.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating transformer secondary resistance?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating transformer secondary resistance. These include temperature, aging of the transformer, and magnetic saturation. It is important to consider these factors when performing the calculation.