1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of a circular arc at a point

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    zlkok7R.png

Given that the circular arc wire with radius 'r' has a linear charge density ##\lambda##. What is the Electric field at the origin?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^2}## where ##k=9\times10^9## is a constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I took a small segment dy ##\theta## above the x-axis with charge ##dq=\lambda dy##. Therefore ##d\vec{E}=\frac{k\lambda cos\theta dy}{r^2}## as all other charges along the y-axis cancel out each other.

Now ##cos\theta=\frac{x}{r}##. And ##x^2+y^2=r^2## is the equation of the arc.
    Therefore ##cos\theta=\frac{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}{r}##. And then proceeding to integrate ##d\vec{E}=\frac{k\lambda \sqrt{r^2-y^2} dy}{r^3}## and arrive at an answer.

But my text tackles the question the same way until, at a point it takes ##dy=rd\theta## and then substitutes and integrates ##d\vec{E}=\frac{k\lambda cos\theta d\theta}{r}## and arriving at an answer. But my answer differs from the one arrived by my textbook. Am I wrong somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##dq=\lambda dy## would mean every "step" dy gives the same charge, and equivalently the same length of the wire. This is not true.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    mfb : That is the condition given in the question. Moreover my text starts the solution in the same way. (The wire is uniformly charged)

5. Nov 8, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use symmetry to conclude what about the y component of E at the origin?
    For the x component, dEx = k cosθ dq/R2 should be apparent.
    What is dq in terms of arc length ds?
    Go that way & you will wind up agreeing with your textbook.

As mfb implied, dy = R dθ is incorrect. R dθ is an element of arc length ds, not an element of distance along the y axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted