Decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl Spinors

In summary, the equation states that the total spinor energy of the two particles is equal to the sum of the two epsilon-particles.
sgd37

Homework Statement

Using

[tex] (\sigma^{\mu \nu})^{\beta}_{\alpha} (\sigma_{\mu \nu})^{\delta}_{\gamma} = \epsilon_{\alpha \gamma} \epsilon^{\beta \delta} + \delta^{\delta}_{\alpha} \delta^{\beta}_{\gamma}[/tex]

show that

[tex] \Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi X) + \frac{1}{2} (\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if I do [tex] (\sigma^{\mu \nu})^{\beta}_{\alpha} (\sigma_{\mu \nu})^{\delta}_{\gamma} \Psi _{\beta} X_{\delta} [/tex]

I can get [tex]\Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha} = \epsilon_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi X) + (\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) [/tex]

so i don't know where the factors of a half come from and how to get the right index order

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find

[tex]
(\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) = \Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}+ \Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}.
[/tex]

The 1/2 must come from the symmetrization

[tex] \Psi_{\beta}X_{\alpha} = \frac{1}{2} \left(\Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}+\Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}\right) + \frac{1}{2} \left(\Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}-\Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}\right) [/tex]

The a-symmetric part must be proportional to the spinor metric, the symmetric one is what's left.

fzero said:
I find

[tex]
(\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) = \Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}+ \Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}.
[/tex]

how did you get that without a factor of two and if it is correct then symmetrising solves it

sgd37 said:
how did you get that without a factor of two and if it is correct then symmetrising solves it

That follows directly from the stated identity. Just put in the correct indices and keep track of the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] contractions.

sorry for being dense but if I would have known how to manipulate this spinor algebra i wouldn't be asking, so please be more explicit

sgd37 said:
sorry for being dense but if I would have known how to manipulate this spinor algebra i wouldn't be asking, so please be more explicit

You should really give it try first or at least point out exactly which term you don't understand.

I've been stuck on this for a day

what I don't understand is why it isn't

[tex] \bold 2 (\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) = \Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}+ \Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}.

[/tex]

even looking at double epsilon identity in two dimensions you get

[tex]
(\sigma^{\mu \nu})^{\beta}_{\alpha} (\sigma_{\mu \nu})^{\delta}_{\gamma} = \delta^{\beta}_{\alpha} \delta^{\delta}_{\gamma}
[/tex]

which gives you a factor of two in that calculation you did

at least give me the starting point of that calculation

Last edited:
sgd37 said:
I've been stuck on this for a day

what I don't understand is why it isn't

[tex] \bold 2 (\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) = \Psi_{\alpha} X_{\beta}+ \Psi_{\beta} X_{\alpha}.

[/tex]

even looking at double epsilon identity in two dimensions you get

[tex]
(\sigma^{\mu \nu})^{\beta}_{\alpha} (\sigma_{\mu \nu})^{\delta}_{\gamma} = \delta^{\beta}_{\alpha} \delta^{\delta}_{\gamma}
[/tex]

You're missing part of this expression.

which gives you a factor of two in that calculation you did

at least give me the starting point of that calculation

[tex] (\sigma^{\mu \nu} \epsilon^{T})_{\alpha \beta} (\Psi \sigma_{\mu \nu} X) = {(\sigma^{\mu \nu})_\alpha}^\gamma \epsilon_{\beta \gamma} \Psi^\delta {( \sigma_{\mu \nu} )_\delta}^\epsilon X_\epsilon .[/tex]

Use

[tex]
{(\sigma^{\mu \nu})_{\alpha}}^{\beta} {(\sigma_{\mu \nu})_{\gamma}}^{\delta} = \epsilon_{\alpha \gamma} \epsilon^{\beta \delta} + \delta^{\delta}_{\alpha} \delta^{\beta}_{\gamma}
[/tex]

and [tex]\Psi^\alpha = \epsilon^{\alpha\beta}\Psi_\beta[/tex].

thank you it seems I made the mistake of having three repeated indicies

but this is correct

[tex]

[/tex]

otherwise you can't derive the rest

Last edited:

What is the SL(2,C) group?

The SL(2,C) group, also known as the special linear group, is a group of 2x2 complex matrices with unit determinant. It has important applications in physics, particularly in the study of relativistic spacetime.

What does it mean for a spinor to decompose?

A spinor is a mathematical object that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. Decomposition refers to breaking down a spinor into simpler components that can make it easier to study or analyze.

Why is the decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl spinors important?

The decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl spinors is important because it allows for a clearer understanding of the properties and behavior of spinors in complex spacetime. It also has applications in quantum field theory and particle physics.

What are the mathematical techniques used for decomposing SL(2,C) Weyl spinors?

The decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl spinors involves the use of representation theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of abstract algebraic structures. Specifically, the use of group representations and tensor analysis is essential in this decomposition.

What are some real-world applications of the decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl spinors?

The decomposition of SL(2,C) Weyl spinors has applications in many areas of physics, including relativistic quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. It also has implications for understanding the structure of spacetime and the behavior of particles in complex environments.