Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decrease the level of the battery for UPS syatem

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I faced problem with the decrease the level of the batteries for UPS system and from time to time i filled the batteries but still the level decrease after one week....

what is the problem and solution؟

best regards,

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

If you had to fill them that sounds like lead-acid flooded batteries. Is that correct?

Gradual decrease in that type of battery is usually caused by sulphation. The cure is a special de-sulphating charge cycle, also called equalizing charge cycle. Only some chargers have that feature.

Another possibility is a cracked plate, but that would happen suddenly, not gradually.

4. Aug 10, 2015 #3
    yes it is lead-acid

5. Aug 10, 2015 #4
    there is no cracked plate

6. Aug 10, 2015 #5

anorlunda

If it is lead acid flooded, then my previous reply about equalization charge is your answer.

If it is lead acid sealed gel cell, then it can be easily damaged by charging it to too high a voltage. The UPS charging set point must be specific for gel cells.

7. Aug 10, 2015 #6
    it is on the float mode not on boost mode

8. Aug 10, 2015 #7

anorlunda

You can float a flooded battery at 14.2 volts, but float a gel cell to 13.8 volts max. Which is it?

9. Aug 10, 2015 #8
    i have 60 battery cells connected in series
    each cell 2.2 vdc
    total voltage 132 vdc

10. Aug 10, 2015 #9

anorlunda

Whoa, that is outside my experience base. I'll bow out of this thread. Hopefully, someone else can help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook