Decreasing the resistance at constant voltage

In summary, the statement "decreasing the resistance increases the current if the voltage remains unchanged" appears to be true based on the given information, but the solution guide may have provided incorrect information. Without further context or clarification, it is difficult to determine the true accuracy of this statement.
Perseverence

Homework Statement

decreasing the resistance increases the current if the voltage remains unchanged.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution in the book does not count this as a true statement, but it seems true to me. Is there any reason why the statement would be false?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perseverence said:

Homework Statement

decreasing the resistance increases the current if the voltage remains unchanged.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution in the book does not count this as a true statement, but it seems true to me. Is there any reason why the statement would be false?

I don't see a complete statement of the problem to be solved in the problem statement section of your post; I see only a declarative sentence.

What is the exact question or problem as posed to you? Without knowing the full context helpers might have to make unwarranted assumptions.

gneill said:
I don't see a complete statement of the problem to be solved in the problem statement section of your post; I see only a declarative sentence.

What is the exact question or problem as posed to you? Without knowing the full context helpers might have to make unwarranted assumptions.
There is no complete problem. This was a true-or-false question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perseverence said:
On the face of it as you have posted it, the statement would appear to be true, for the reason that you have. But if the book says it is false, then as @gneill says, there must be more to the problem. Perhaps there is an overall context that is supposed to be applied? Like an overall statement about a circuit that is given a couple problems earlier that applies to the next 4 questions, or something like that?

As I've said before, there was not anything else to this question. It was a true-or-false question. It looks as though the solution guide was wrong. Thank you for your help.

Likes berkeman

1. How does decreasing resistance affect voltage in a circuit?

Decreasing resistance in a circuit while keeping the voltage constant will cause an increase in current flow. This is described by Ohm's law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

2. What is the benefit of decreasing resistance at constant voltage?

Decreasing resistance in a circuit can help to increase the efficiency of the circuit, as less energy is lost due to heat produced by the resistance. This can also help to prolong the lifespan of electronic components.

3. How can resistance be decreased in a circuit?

Resistance can be decreased by using conductive materials with lower resistivity, increasing the thickness or width of conductors, or by using parallel circuit configurations. Additionally, the use of circuit components such as resistors can also decrease resistance in a circuit.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with decreasing resistance in a circuit?

Decreasing resistance in a circuit can cause an increase in current flow, which can lead to overheating and potential damage to components. It is important to carefully consider the effects of decreased resistance in a circuit and ensure that the components can handle the increased current.

5. Can decreasing resistance in a circuit affect the overall stability of the system?

In some cases, decreasing resistance in a circuit can cause fluctuations in voltage and affect the stability of the system. It is important to carefully adjust the resistance to maintain a balance between current flow and stability in the circuit.