Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Define Electromagnetic Spacetime

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    Can someone define Electromagnetic Spacetime for me?

Even though it is not unified with GR is it valid to think of its shape as subject to all the rules of geometry as GR?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    EM is usually done in Minkowski spacetime which is flat and is the limit to which GR tends when there are no sources present.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know about "electro-magnetism" and "space-time". But I have never seen the phrase "electromagnetic spacetime" before. Could you explain what you mean? cosmik debris seems to think you mean electro-magnetism in space time. Is that correct?

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
    Could this be a reference to Kaluza-Klein theory, where electromagnetism is describe by a geometric spacetime?

V

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5
    Can electromagnetic space-time be regarded as a four dimensional space-time that coexists with the gravitational one? My understanding is that Kaluza-Klein theory tries to unify both, but falls short.

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6
    As Cosmik Debris said, EM is covered in a 4D Minkowski space, I'm not really sure what you're asking.

V

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7
    Kaluza-Klein uses 5D, where one spatial dimension is rolled into a circle. This does unify GR with EM but has some limitations. I am no expert on this so I won't comment further.

9. Aug 11, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please review the PF Guidelines. Off-topic posting and thread hijacking are strictly not allowed.

Zz.

10. Aug 12, 2008 #9
    I don't understand. Why are my comments categorized as Off-topic posting and thread hijacking?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?