Define f(x) where it is odd and even at two points

In summary: So for even, this would be f(x) = x2 on [0,ℓ], and then f(x) = x2 on [ℓ,2ℓ], and so on. For odd, it would be f(x) = -x2 on [-ℓ,0], f(x) = x2 on [0,ℓ], f(x) = -x2 on [ℓ,2ℓ], and so on.In summary, to extend the function f(x) = x^2 for 0 ≤ x ≤ ℓ to all real values in such a way that it is odd across x∗ = 0 and even across x∗ = ℓ, we can define
rexasaurus
1. Homework Statement :

A function f : R → R is called “even across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = f (x∗ + x) for every x and is called “odd across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = −f (x∗ + x) for every x. Define f (x) for 0 ≤ x ≤ ℓ by setting f (x) = (x^2) . Extend f to all of R (i.e., define f (x) for all real x) in such a way that it is odd across x∗ = 0 and even across x∗ = ℓ.

2. Homework Equations :

1. conservation equations (transport): concentration, flux
(a) flow (flux = vu ) — fluid, traffic, etc.
(b) mixing: diffusion/dispersion (probability; flux = D ∇u )
reaction/diffusion systems
2. mechanics (Newton’s 3rd Law): force, potential energy, momentum
(a) wave equation; ICs and BCs
(b) beam, plate equations
3. steady state (equilibrium: balance equations)
4. some other examples . . . (e.g., Cauchy-Riemann equations)

**Also studying the heat equation/etc**

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I understand the difference between "even" and "odd". I have created the following:
f(ℓ-x)=f(ℓ+x) even at "ℓ"
f(0-x)=-f(0-x) OR f(-x)=-f(x) odd at "0"

I think I need to use the above IC's to setup the BC's. Once I have the BC's determined I am not sure how to combine them to find the full equation for f (x) or what to do with f (x) = (x^2).

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
rexasaurus said:
1. Homework Statement :

A function f : R → R is called “even across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = f (x∗ + x) for every x and is called “odd across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = −f (x∗ + x) for every x. Define f (x) for 0 ≤ x ≤ ℓ by setting f (x) = (x^2) . Extend f to all of R (i.e., define f (x) for all real x) in such a way that it is odd across x∗ = 0 and even across x∗ = ℓ.

2. Homework Equations :

<snip>

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I understand the difference between "even" and "odd". I have created the following:
f(ℓ-x)=f(ℓ+x) even at "ℓ"
f(0-x)=-f(0-x) OR f(-x)=-f(x) odd at "0"

I think I need to use the above IC's to setup the BC's. Once I have the BC's determined I am not sure how to combine them to find the full equation for f (x) or what to do with f (x) = (x^2).

Please help!

Can you draw a picture of the graph that is y = x2 on [0,ℓ] and that is odd across 0 and even across ℓ? That's your first step.

Thank you for your help. I was able to plot the graph for x^2 and the odd/even BC's not sure where to go from there. Any help is appreciated.

rexasaurus said:
Thank you for your help. I was able to plot the graph for x^2 and the odd/even BC's not sure where to go from there. Any help is appreciated.

If your function comes out to be periodic (did it?) all you have to do is define it over one period and extend it periodically.

What is the definition of f(x) when it is odd and even at two points?

The definition of f(x) being odd and even at two points means that the function has both odd and even symmetry. Odd symmetry indicates that the function is symmetric about the origin, while even symmetry means the function is symmetric about the y-axis.

How can f(x) be both odd and even at two points?

To be both odd and even at two points, the function must have two distinct points that share the same y-value but have opposite x-values. This means that the function must be both odd and even at the same time, which is only possible if the function is constant or has a periodic pattern.

What are the characteristics of a function that is odd and even at two points?

A function that is both odd and even at two points has the following characteristics:

• It is symmetric about the origin and the y-axis.
  • It has two distinct points that share the same y-value but have opposite x-values.
  • It is either constant or has a periodic pattern.

What are some examples of a function that is odd and even at two points?

Some examples of functions that are both odd and even at two points are:

• f(x) = cos(x)
  • f(x) = sin(x)
  • f(x) = -x
  • f(x) = x^3 - x

How can understanding f(x) being odd and even at two points be useful in mathematics?

Understanding the concept of a function being odd and even at two points can be useful in graphing and analyzing functions. It can help identify the symmetry of a function and make it easier to determine its behavior and properties. This knowledge can also be applied in solving equations and inequalities involving odd and even functions.