Determing if a function with integral within it is even/odd

In summary, Thomas attempted to solve the integral for f(-x)-f(x), but was not sure if it was correct. He found that f is odd(-2f(x)), but does not know if this is correct. He is still sceptical about the proof.
mr.tea

Homework Statement

Determine if the function is even/odd/neither without solving the integral

Homework Equations

[tex] f(x)=\arctan (x)-2\int_0 ^x{\frac{1}{(1+t^2)^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do f(-x)-f(x). I know that if f is odd, I should get -2f(x) and if even, 0. I got that f is odd(-2f(x)), but I don't know if this is a correct answer, since wolfram alpha says that this is not an odd function. I didn't assume anything on the function while checking this. I am a bit confused.
Is there any way to check things like that?

Thank you,
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
When the limits of the integration are 0 to x, the integral of an even function is odd and the integral of an odd function is even.
Look at each term in the equation. If each part is even, then the whole thing is even. Same with odd. But if you add an even and odd function (that are not 0) then you get neither.

Likes mr.tea
First you know that arctan(x) is an odd function, right? Further, making the change of variable, u= -t in the integral, so that dt= -du
[tex]\int_0^x \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}[/tex]
becomes
[tex]\int_0^{-x}\frac{-du}{(1+ (-u)^2)^2}= -\int_0^{-x} \frac{du}{(1+ u^2)^2}[/tex]
changing the "dummy variable", u, in that integral to t,
[tex]\int_0^x \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}= -\int_0^{-x} \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}[/tex]

Likes mr.tea
Khashishi said:
When the limits of the integration are 0 to x, the integral of an even function is odd and the integral of an odd function is even.
Look at each term in the equation. If each part is even, then the whole thing is even. Same with odd. But if you add an even and odd function (that are not 0) then you get neither.

Hi,
First, thank you for the answer.
How do we know that the integral of an odd function is even and the same with even function? Maybe I will try to prove it, but expect to a question about that :)

Second, since the integrand is even, that means(according to you, but I am still not convinced about it) that the integral is odd. And since arctan is odd, that means that the whole function is odd. Right?

mr.tea said:
Hi,
First, thank you for the answer.
How do we know that the integral of an odd function is even and the same with even function? Maybe I will try to prove it, but expect to a question about that :)

Second, since the integrand is even, that means(according to you, but I am still not convinced about it) that the integral is odd. And since arctan is odd, that means that the whole function is odd. Right?

HoI essentially just answered your question in #4. He did it for the particular function, but you could write out the proof again for integral of any function f which satisfies the condition of evenness which you should write out. The key point which you may have missed in the detail is, and may even disbelieve till you think about it :oldsmile: is, to say it crudely

ab = - ∫ba

HallsofIvy said:
First you know that arctan(x) is an odd function, right? Further, making the change of variable, u= -t in the integral, so that dt= -du
[tex]\int_0^x \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}[/tex]
becomes
[tex]\int_0^{-x}\frac{-du}{(1+ (-u)^2)^2}= -\int_0^{-x} \frac{du}{(1+ u^2)^2}[/tex]
changing the "dummy variable", u, in that integral to t,
[tex]\int_0^x \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}= -\int_0^{-x} \frac{dt}{(1+ t^2)^2}[/tex]

Thank you. I did something similar with the function but without changing the variable.

epenguin said:
HoI essentially just answered your question in #4. He did it for the particular function, but you could write out the proof again for integral of any function f which satisfies the condition of evenness which you should write out. The key point which you may have missed in the detail is, and may even disbelieve till you think about it :oldsmile: is, to say it crudely

ab = - ∫ba

As I said to HallsofIvy, I did the same thing. I just assumed that without loss of generality, x is positive then -x is negative and you flip the limits of the integral and you add minus.

I cannot see those things/"proofs" in my head without write them. That might be the reason I was( well, and still a bit) sceptical(Well, I am studying mathematics, I guess I should be sceptical).

So, I understand that my answer is correct :)

Thank you all.

1. What is the definition of an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(x) = f(-x) for all values of x. In other words, the function remains unchanged when the input is replaced by its negative value.

2. How can I determine if a function is even or odd?

To determine if a function is even or odd, you can plug in the negative of the input value and see if the resulting function is equal to the original function. If it is, then the function is even. If the resulting function is equal to the negative of the original function, then the function is odd.

3. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. A function can only be either even or odd based on the property f(x) = f(-x) or f(x) = -f(-x) being satisfied.

4. What is the significance of knowing if a function is even or odd?

Knowing if a function is even or odd can be useful in simplifying integrals and understanding the symmetry of a function. It can also help in identifying certain patterns and making predictions about the behavior of a function.

5. Can a function with an integral within it be even or odd?

Yes, a function with an integral within it can be even or odd. The even or odd nature of the function will depend on the integral itself and whether it satisfies the property f(x) = f(-x) or f(x) = -f(-x).