Defining principal strain + direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the strain state in a point defined by a tensor and how to find the principal strains and directions. The conversation also touches on finding the I values and how to use them to find the roots.
taminator

Homework Statement

Question: The strain state in a point is defined by the tensor:
0.9 0 0
0 -0.4 0.2
0 0.2 0.6
- Define principal strains and directions in the point
- Explain how deforms the element shown in figure 2b (they just drew a cube on 3d axis)
- Draw the principal directions

Homework Equations

So i know that ε^3 - I1ε^2 - I2ε - I3 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

and for the I values, i subbed the tensor values in and got I1 = 0.7, I2 = 0.02, I3 = -0.252
I have a feeling I'm subbing the wrong values though. is εx = εxx from the tensor above?
Becuase the end equation i get, does not give me any roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a good feeling. For example, I1 = 0.9 - 0.4 + 0.6 = 1.1 .

ahh indeed I've got 2 values wrong.
So now i got I1 = 1.1, I2 = 0.1 and I3 = -0.252, but i still can't find my roots?

What is principal strain?

Principal strain is a measure of the maximum and minimum deformation in a material. It is the difference between the original length and the final length of a material when it is subjected to stress.

How is principal strain calculated?

Principal strain is calculated as the change in length divided by the original length. It is typically represented as a percentage.

What is the significance of principal strain in material science?

Principal strain helps engineers and scientists understand how a material will deform under stress. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of materials.

How is principal strain different from other types of strain?

Principal strain is unique because it represents the maximum and minimum deformation in a material, whereas other types of strain only measure one specific type of deformation.

What is the direction of principal strain?

The direction of principal strain is perpendicular to the plane of maximum strain. This direction is known as the principal direction or the direction of principal stress.