Range of x and y for ln(2+y) = 5ln(3-x) - 2√x

  • Thread starter Thread starter feely
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Variables
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
feely
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Real variables x and y are related by the equation

ln(2+y) = 5ln(3 - x) - 2 sqrt x ...(sorry, I haven't as yet got the hang on LaTeX)

Determine the range of values of x and y for which the expressions on each side of this equation are defined.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I haven't really been able to make an attempt at a solution. I think I have to take the exp of each side, but I am not sure excatly what way I go about this, so if someone could give me some advice, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HINTS:

(1) For what values of [itex]\gamma[/itex] is [itex]\ln\gamma[/itex] defined?

(2) For what values of [itex]\eta[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{\eta}[/itex] defined?