Domain and range of a function of several variables

In summary: So, in summary, the domain of the function f(x, y) = ln(x+y) is all real numbers where x+y>0, and the range is all real numbers.
yango_17

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function:
f(x, y) = ln(x+y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the natural log ln(x) is only defined when x>0, so does that mean that ln(x+y) is only defined when x+y>0? Also, would the range just be all positive real numbers? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yango_17 said:

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range of the following function:
f(x, y) = ln(x+y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the natural log ln(x) is only defined when x>0, so does that mean that ln(x+y) is only defined when x+y>0?
Yes.
Do you understand what this set looks like in the plane?
yango_17 said:
Also, would the range just be all positive real numbers? Thanks
No. What's the range of y = ln(x)? Is it just the positive reals?

I don't understand what the set looks like in the plane. The range of ln(x) would be all real numbers, since it has an asymptote at y=0 where is approaches -∞, and approaches ∞ as x approaches ∞.

yango_17 said:
I don't understand what the set looks like in the plane.
Can you graph the inequality ##x + y \ge 0##?
If not, graph the line x + y = 0. The inequality will be one side or the other of that line. Surely you must have done some graphing of inequalities in the past.

I see what you're saying. Regarding the range, however, would it simply be all real numbers due to the range of ln(x) being all real numbers?

yango_17 said:
I see what you're saying. Regarding the range, however, would it simply be all real numbers due to the range of ln(x) being all real numbers?
Yes.

1. What is the definition of domain and range of a function of several variables?

The domain of a function of several variables is the set of input values for which the function is defined. The range is the set of output values that the function can produce.

2. How is the domain and range of a function of several variables determined?

The domain of a function of several variables is determined by considering the restrictions on the input variables. The range is determined by evaluating the function at different points in the domain.

3. Can the domain and range of a function of several variables be infinite?

Yes, the domain and range of a function of several variables can be infinite if there are no restrictions on the input values or if the function can produce an infinite number of output values.

4. What is the importance of understanding the domain and range of a function of several variables?

Understanding the domain and range of a function of several variables is crucial in determining the behavior of the function and its limitations. It also helps in finding the maximum and minimum values of the function and identifying any discontinuities.

5. How do you represent the domain and range of a function of several variables graphically?

The domain of a function of several variables is represented by the input values on the x-axis, while the range is represented by the output values on the y-axis. This can be shown on a graph by plotting points that satisfy the function and connecting them to form a curve or surface.