• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Definite integral+limits question

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The value of ## \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2}{\sqrt {t^2+1}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use ## \int_b^a f(x) = \int_b^a f(a+b-x)## It didn't work out, and I can't see any other way to move ahead. I'd be grateful for your help

Answers and Replies

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Are you allowed to use inequalities like for example ##\arctan x<\frac{\pi}{2}##?

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Are you allowed to use inequalities like for example ##\arctan x<\frac{\pi}{2}##?
Since ##\arctan x<\frac{\pi}{2}## is something basic and known, I guess we can use it. I don't understand how you suggest using it though...

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
well using it you can get an upper bound of ##\frac{\pi^2}{4}## for that limit. I am currently thinking on what we should use to get a lower bound...

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
well using it you can get an upper bound of ##\frac{\pi^2}{4}## for that limit. I am currently thinking on what we should use to get a lower bound...
I understand that as x tends to infinity- the square of tan inverse will approach (pi)^2/4 ; I do not know how you can change the limit mathematically using this fact...

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Are you allowed to use inequalities between integrals? Because it is ##(\arctan x)^2<\frac{\pi^2}{4}## integrating both sides of the inequality what do you get?

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Are you allowed to use inequalities between integrals? Because it is ##(\arctan x)^2<\frac{\pi^2}{4}## integrating both sides of the inequality what do you get?
I have never encountered something like that. The next chapter in my course is differential equations- perhaps this'll be elaborated there?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You mean that you haven't done the mini theorem that "if ##f(x)<g(x)## then ##\int_a^bf(x)dx<\int_a^bg(x)dx##?. No that theorem has nothing to do with differential equations...

I guess there must be another way to work this, but I suspect ##\pi^2/4## is the answer.

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
You mean that you haven't done the mini theorem that "if ##f(x)<g(x)## then ##\int_a^bf(x)dx<\int_a^bg(x)dx##?. No that theorem has nothing to do with differential equations...

I guess there must be another way to work this, but I suspect ##\pi^2/4## is the answer.
Ah, right I have read that theorem (just last night) but it wasn't used anywhere since so I totally forgot about it. Yes, the answer is indeed ##\pi^2/4## should I try using that theorem now to get the result myself or is this still part intuition-part solution?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is not complete solution. Using it you can prove an inequality regarding that limit, namely that ## \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2dx}{\sqrt {t^2+1}}\leq\frac{\pi^2}{4}##.

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
It is not complete solution. Using it you can prove an inequality regarding that limit, namely that ## \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2dx}{\sqrt {t^2+1}}\leq\frac{\pi^2}{4}##.
Proved that! cant we use -pi/4<arctan(x) to get a sandwich condition

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Proved that! cant we use -pi/4<arctan(x) to get a sandwich condition
Nope using ##-\frac{\pi}{2}<\arctan x## wont work... Look in your textbook if there is some section with inequalities for inverse trigonometric functions..

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I thought of another way, using the mean value theorem for definite integrals.

First we replace t at the limit with a natural number n. The limit as ##n\to\infty## is the same as ##t\to\infty##

Then from mean value theorem, we know that for every ## n##, there will be ##x_n## such that ##\int_0^n(\arctan x)^2dx=(\arctan x_n)^2(n-0)##

So from here just compute the limit ##\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\int_0^n(\arctan x)^2dx}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}=…## at the end use the fact that
##\lim_{n\to\infty}(\arctan x_n)^2=\frac{\pi^2}{4}##

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Nope using ##-\frac{\pi}{2}<\arctan x## wont work... Look in your textbook if there is some section with inequalities for inverse trigonometric functions..
sorry, I mistyped; I meant ##-\frac{\pi}{2}<\arctan x## but you got it anyway. Why won't that work, is it because the lower limit is 0 and thus not a limiting condition on the lower side of arctan?

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

First we replace t at the limit with a natural number n. The limit as ##n\to\infty## is the same as ##t\to\infty##

Then from mean value theorem, we know that for every ## n##, there will be ##x_n## such that ##\int_0^n(\arctan x)^2dx=(\arctan x_n)^2(n-0)##

So from here just compute the limit ##\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\int_0^n(\arctan x)^2dx}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}=…## at the end use the fact that
\
Got it! That was extremely clever, how do you manage to gain such intuition?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
\
It was a moment of divine inspiration :D. Except that I was just thinking what other properties and theorems for definite integrals we could use..

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
It was a moment of divine inspiration :D. Except that I was just thinking what other properties and theorems for definite integrals we could use..
wow, hope I'll get there someday...Thanks a lot.
I have 2 more doubts posted as 2 threads...one I've already solved and want to know if there's a shorter way. The second one I have no idea about how to proceed. would you mind taking a look?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
\
Following the intuition by Delta2, a possibly easier way is the followig. First, plot the integrand ##\arctan^2(x)## over an interval ##0 \leq x \leq M## for some moderate-to-large ##M##. You will notice that the function is almost constant over the majority of the interval, so we have
$$ \arctan^2(x) \doteq \lim_{w \to \infty} \arctan^2(w) = \frac{\pi^2}{4}$$
over almost the whole interval. Thus, ##\int_0^n \arctan^2(x) \, dx = n \pi^2/4 + c_n##, where ##c_n \to \text{some constant}## as ##n \to \infty.## Since ##c_n/\sqrt{n^2+1} \to 0##, the required limit is just ##\pi^2/4.##

Note added in edit: we have that ##g(x) = \pi^24 - \arctan^2(x) \geq 0## approaches zero as ##x \to \infty##. If ##C = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_0^n g(x) \, dx## exists, then we have ##0 < c_n < C## for all ##n > 0##, so it is, indeed, true that ##c_n/n \to 0.## While visual examination of a plot suggests that ##C## is finite, that is not a proof. We need to look at how near ##\arctan(x)## is to ##\pi/2## for large ##x##, so we can tell whether ##\arctan^2(x) - \pi^2/4## goes to zero quickly enough to have a finite integral on ##[0, \infty).## You can verify that everything does, in fact, go through as needed.

Last edited:
Likes StoneTemplePython
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

How can we know for sure that the ##x_n## goes to infinity?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How can we know for sure that the ##x_n## goes to infinity?
Well , right now I cant think something rigorous. The intuition behind it , is that for large n the value of the integral is gonna be ##n\frac{\pi^2}{4}+\epsilon(n)## so comparing this with ##(\arctan x_n)^2(n-0)## we get that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}(\arctan x_n)^2=\frac{\pi^2}{4}+\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\epsilon(n)}{n}##. Well as to why ##\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\epsilon(n)}{n}=0## I guess the argument is gonna be similar to yours as to why ##c_n/n\to 0##

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
After thinking of this over and over again I think the most rigorous approach is to use the good old Del Hospital rule, it is very straightforward as well if we first work the limit ##lim_{t\to\infty}\frac{\int_0^t(\arctan x)^2 dx}{t}## with Hospital rule.

StoneTemplePython
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
a couple small points: if OP wants to clean up the denominator, setting up some inequalities like the below should sandwich the result.

##\frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2dx}{t}\frac{t}{t+1}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{(t+1)}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {(t+1)^2}}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2 + 2t +1}} \leq \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2+1}} \leq \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2}} = \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{t}##

also the fact that ##\arctan^2 x## has a limit implies that the Cesaro mean evaluates to said limit. We are dealing with integrals -- specifically ##\frac{1}{t} \int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx##

not series here, but it's a closely related point -- and we could work with

##\frac{1}{t} \sum_{x=1}^t (\arctan x) ^2##

if we were so inclined. Normally its the case that people use integrals to estimate and bound series, but amusingly, I think the above integrals can be sandwiched by two cesaro means, to give the result. Given monotonicity / negative convexity for the function which exists for all ##x \geq 1##, it shouldn't be too hard

Last edited:
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Well , right now I cant think something rigorous. The intuition behind it , is that for large n the value of the integral is gonna be ##n\frac{\pi^2}{4}+\epsilon(n)## so comparing this with ##(\arctan x_n)^2(n-0)## we get that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}(\arctan x_n)^2=\frac{\pi^2}{4}+\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\epsilon(n)}{n}##. Well as to why ##\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\epsilon(n)}{n}=0## I guess the argument is gonna be similar to yours as to why ##c_n/n\to 0##
I made an error in my edit of post #18, but it is repairable. We can write
$$\int_0^n \arctan^2 x \, dx = \frac{\pi^2}{4} n - c_n, $$
where ##c_n > 0.## In post #18 I mistakenly said that ##c_n \to \text{constant}## as ##n \to \infty##, and that is false. In fact, if we look at ##\delta(x) = \pi^2/4 - \arctan^2(x)## we have that ##\delta(x) \sim \pi/x ## for large ##x>0##. Thus, ##c_n ~ K + \pi \ln n## for a constant ##K > 0## Therefore, ##c_n \to +\infty## as ##n \to \infty.## However, we are really interested in the average instead of the total, so we need only note that ##c_n/n \to 0## because ##\ln n / n \to 0.##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
After thinking of this over and over again I think the most rigorous approach is to use the good old Del Hospital rule, it is very straightforward as well if we first work the limit ##lim_{t\to\infty}\frac{\int_0^t(\arctan x)^2 dx}{t}## with Hospital rule.
Ah! why didn't I think of that, so I suppose we can use the newton-leibnitz theorem on the numerator and same old differentiation in the denominator-right?

Likes Delta2
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
a couple small points: if OP wants to clean up the denominator, setting up some inequalities like the below should sandwich the result.

##\frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2dx}{t}\frac{t}{t+1}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{(t+1)}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {(t+1)^2}}= \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2 + 2t +1}} \leq \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2+1}} \leq \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{\sqrt {t^2}} = \frac {\int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx}{t}##

also the fact that ##\arctan^2 x## has a limit implies that the Cesaro mean evaluates to said limit. We are dealing with integrals -- specifically ##\frac{1}{t} \int_0^t (\arctan x) ^2 dx##

not series here, but it's a closely related point -- and we could work with

##\frac{1}{t} \sum_{x=1}^t (\arctan x) ^2##

if we were so inclined. Normally its the case that people use integrals to estimate and bound series, but amusingly, I think the above integrals can be sandwiched by two cesaro means, to give the result. Given monotonicity / negative convexity for the function which exists for all ##x \geq 1##, it shouldn't be too hard
interesting, i'll delve into it further as soon as I'm done with my midterms