Definite Integral of 1/x from 0 to 1 problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 16K views
TylerH
Messages
729
Reaction score
0
Given that 1/x is symetric across y=x, why can't we say [tex]\int^1_0 1/x - x dx= \int^\infty_1 1/x + x dx[/tex]? Geometrically, it makes sense, but ln(0) is clearly undefined.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
from 1 to infinity the integral is unboundedly large. ln(x) tends to -infinity as x tends to 0, so the other integral is also unboundedly large. I think there's nothing wrong with saying the areas are equal
 
Yeah... I should have waited to post. I solved it and got x=0, but I'm not sure that means anything...

[tex]\int^1_0 (1/x - x)dx = \int^\infty_1 dx/x + \int^1_0 xdx[/tex]
[tex]\right[lnx\left]^1_0 - x^2/2 = \right[lnx\left]^\infty_1 + x^2/2[/tex]
[tex]ln1 - \lim_{x \to 0+}lnx = \lim_{x \to \infty}lnx + ln1 + x^2[/tex]
[tex]-\lim_{x \to 0+}lnx = \lim_{x \to \infty}lnx + x^2[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}lnx + \lim_{x \to 0+}lnx + x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}(lnx + ln1/x)+x^2=0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{x}{x}+x^2=0[/tex]
and so on...

What is the geometric interpretation of x=0?