1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a limit of a function confusion

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L## if and only if ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x+a) = L##

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the forward direction (ie ##1 \Rightarrow 2##), I tried to first assume that 1. holds true (ie ##\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta>0, \forall x \neq a, x \in A, |x-a|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon##). Then, I let ##x+a=t##, and then by our choice of ##t## we will have ##|x|=|t-a|##, then if we choose ##\delta## such that ##|t-a|<\delta##, it follows ##|f(t)-L|<\epsilon##, so ##|f(x+a)-L|<\epsilon## proving statement 2.

However, I'm not quite sure if my argument is correct. The main concern I have is the chance that ##t \notin A##, so we couldn't apply the definition to this case. If the above can't be done, which would be a better way to solve the problem?

Thank you for your help.​

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your solution is fine. You just need to rewrite your proof in a way that makes it a bit more clear how you're using the assumption and the definition of limit. For example like this: (Since you have solved the problem, I don't think it's against the rules to show you my version).

Let ##\varepsilon>0## be arbitrary. Suppose that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)=L##. Let ##\delta>0## be such that for all ##x\in A##,
    $$0<|x-a|<\delta\ \Rightarrow\ |f(x)-L|<\delta.$$ For all ##x\in A## such that ##0<|x|<\delta##, we have ##0<|(x+a)-a|<\delta##, and therefore ##|f(x+a)-L|<\varepsilon##. This implies that ##\lim_{x\to 0}f(x+a)=L##.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted