Definition of distance -AR type problem

In summary: However, there are other contexts where distance may not be a scalar. Therefore, the reasoning provided may not be a correct explanation for the given statement.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about assertion reasoning and determining the correct explanation for statement A. The discussion centers around the assertion that distance is a scalar quantity because it is the length of the path traversed. While this is generally true, it is pointed out that there are other contexts in which distance may not be a scalar, therefore making the reasoning provided potentially incorrect.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

assertion.png

Aquestion.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These assertion reasoning questions are little tricky . Even simple questions get wrong in a time bound objective test .

In this question I think it should be option b) i.e Both the statements are correct but Statement R is not the correct explanation of statement A . But this is marked wrong .

Statement R doesn't explain that a scalar quantity has only magnitude but no direction .Displacement is also length of the path along with the direction.

What option would other members choose ?

Attachments

• assertion.png
    assertion.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 916
  • Aquestion.png
    Aquestion.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
Dispacement is the vector not distance.It should be (c)

palkia said:

No . c) is clearly wrong .

Please read the question carefully . R is correct statement .

@haruspex , what would you choose ?

I guess it's a toss up between a) and b) .

palkia said:
That is in itself an example of (d).

Likes Orodruin
Jahnavi said:
No . c) is clearly wrong .

Please read the question carefully . R is correct statement .

@haruspex , what would you choose ?

I guess it's a toss up between a) and b) .
The difficulty is that we are not provided a definition of length of path traversed. Here it is: If ##\vec {ds}## is the general vector element of a path P then length traversed is ##\int_P|\vec {ds}|##
This is clearly a scalar, so (a).

Likes Jahnavi
Looks like I misread the question...my mistake.

I think it should be (A) then

haruspex said:
The difficulty is that we are not provided a definition of length of path traversed. Here it is: If ##\vec {ds}## is the general vector element of a path P then length traversed is ##\int_P|\vec {ds}|##

OK . I agree R is a correct statement :smile:

But the point is whether R is a correct reasoning for statement A .Does R correctly explain statement A ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . I agree R is a correct statement :smile:

But the point is whether R is a correct reasoning for statement A .Does R correctly explain statement A ?
In post #5 I provided the (missing) definition of length of path traversed. That definition clearly makes length of path traversed a scalar. The R statement claims that distance is length of path traversed, and you accept that as true. Does it not follow that distance is a scalar?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Does it not follow that distance is a scalar?

OK .

Is it okay if I combine the two statements and read them together like this =>

Since/Because distance is the length of path traversed , it is a scalar quantity .

OR

Distance is a scalar quantity because it is the length of path traversed .

Is that correct ?

Jahnavi said:
OK .

Is it okay if I combine the two statements and read them together like this =>

Since/Because distance is the length of path traversed , it is a scalar quantity .

OR

Distance is a scalar quantity because it is the length of path traversed .

Is that correct ?
Yes, both forms are correct.

Likes Jahnavi

haruspex said:
I disagree. The distance between two points is a scalar so the assertion is true. However, the distance between two points is independent of the path - it is the length of the shortest path - which makes the stated reason a false statement unless you specify that the path must be a straight line.

Likes Jahnavi and Tom.G
Orodruin said:
I disagree. The distance between two points is a scalar so the assertion is true. However, the distance between two points is independent of the path - it is the length of the shortest path - which makes the stated reason a false statement unless you specify that the path must be a straight line.
Yes and no.
The question takes "distance" out of context. It is not clear whether we are discussing distance between two points or distance traveled. Since it mentions a path traversed, I feel it is reasonable to assume that context.
So to be precise, distance can mean the length of path traversed, and when it does mean that it follows that it is a scalar.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is the definition of distance in an -AR type problem?

In the context of -AR type problems, distance refers to the amount of space or units between two points. It can be measured in various units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How is distance typically represented in an -AR type problem?

In -AR type problems, distance is commonly represented by the variable "d" or "x". This variable can be used to represent the total distance traveled, or the distance between two specific points.

3. Is distance always a positive value in -AR type problems?

Yes, distance is always considered a positive value in -AR type problems. This is because it represents the actual physical distance between two points and cannot be negative.

4. Are there any formulas for calculating distance in -AR type problems?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to calculate distance in -AR type problems depending on the given information. Some common formulas include d = rt (distance equals rate multiplied by time) and d = √(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 (distance formula for two points in a coordinate plane).

5. Can distance be calculated in other dimensions besides one-dimensional or two-dimensional spaces?

Yes, distance can also be calculated in three-dimensional spaces. In this case, the formula d = √(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + (z2 - z1)^2 can be used, where x, y, and z represent the coordinates in three-dimensional space.