What is Energy? A Clear Definition and Explanation

In summary, energy is a conserved quantity associated with the time-translation symmetry of the Lagrangian. It is the capacity to do work and is not a physical object, but a mathematical property of objects. It is useful because it is conserved in natural phenomena and has different formulas for different types of energy. This concept was defined by Noether's theorem and is a fundamental law in nature.
jbriggs444 said:
Like @Dale, this is not what I would have expected a definition of "object-like" to entail. It seems that it is just a synonym for "simple".

If you had expected energy to be some sort of fluid-like substance that you could squeeze out of an object to measure how much it has then yes, that would be a wrong idea. It is not simple like that.

You might want to revisit the notions of position and velocity. Position is not an attribute of an object. It is an attribute of an object in the context of a reference system. You cannot directly measure position. You can only measure distances (or signal reception times, parallax, apparent magnitude, etc) and infer position relative to something else.

Similarly, velocity is not an attribute of an object. Since it is the first derivative of position with respect to time, velocity depends on the reference system. You cannot directly measure velocity. You can only measure velocity relative to something else.

Position, velocity and energy all depend on one's choice of reference system. Unlike attributes such as mass which do not depend on such a choice. Attributes that do not depend on the choice of reference system are called "invariant". Attributes that do depend on such a choice are called "relative".
Ah, i see, thank you for pointing this. I need to revise my notes about this :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Dale said:
That is only true for a ideal gas. For more complicated substances there are many other internal degrees of freedom that can be energized. There are atomic and molecular orbitals, rotational modes, stretching, bending modes, torsion, and many longer range interactions.
I see. So, for complicated substances, the heat (in terms of work) would affect not only the kinetic energy inside the system, but also could affect those degrees of freedom?

jbriggs444 said:
If one is a stickler for terminology, "heat" is to thermal energy what "work" is to mechanical energy. It is a transfer of thermal energy across an interface. Nonetheless, one will find people speaking loosely of "heat energy" as a synonym for "thermal energy".

It is not a mechanism of transfer (like conduction, radiation or convection). It is the amount transferred.
I see, so there is thermal energy which is associated with heat. Just to be sure, is thermal energy the same as internal energy (which arises due to nonconservative force such as friction)? Or they are completely different?

EnricoHendro said:
I see. So, for complicated substances, the heat (in terms of work) would affect not only the kinetic energy inside the system, but also could affect those degrees of freedom?
Yes, generally all of them that can hold sufficient energy will be occupied

EnricoHendro said:
About the Noether’s theorem, will a standard textbook cover the details about the theorem? Or do I need to look elsewhere if I want to know more about it?
I am sure it is covered in most textbooks that deal with the Lagrangian approach. It is quite straightforward.

If the Lagrangian has some differential symmetry then there will always be a conserved quantity associated with it. Symmetry under spatial translations leads to conservation of momentum. Symmetry under rotations leads to conservation of angular momentum. Symmetry under gauge transformations leads to conservation of charge. Etc.

Last edited:
Likes EnricoHendro
A.T. said:
I don't like this one. Uniformly distributed heat energy doesn't have capacity to do work.
uniformly distributed, in what ? You need matter in order to have heat. You do need to transform that energy into a different form in order for it to do work, but it is the same energy. If you place one side of a Peltier device in contact with the original matter, and the other side in contact with some lower-heat-energy matter, some of the higher energy will convert into electricity, some of it will be transferred to the cold side.

Likes EnricoHendro
A.T. said:
I don't like this one. Uniformly distributed heat energy doesn't have capacity to do work.
It certainly does have the capacity to do work. It just needs to be in the right situation, which is next to something colder. Your statement is similar to saying that the air at the center of a tank full of compressed air does not have the capacity to do work because it is surrounded by air at the same pressure. That is wrong.

FactChecker said:
It certainly does have the capacity to do work. It just needs to be in the right situation, ...
Is it sensible to define the general quantity energy via the quantity work, if it also relies on having "the right situation"? I think the definition via work applies to thermodynamic free energy, but not to energy in general:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_free_energy

Likes Motore
A.T. said:
Is it sensible to define the general quantity energy via the quantity work, if it also relies on having "the right situation"?
Yes. It is your scenario of "Uniformly distributed heat energy" that requires a very specific and contrived (impossible?) situation to propose that an object with heat does not have the potential to do work. In any other, much more common situation, it clearly has the potential to do work.

I contend that a compressed spring does not lose its energy simply because it is not in a situation where it can not expand. Also, the compressed air in the center of a bottle of compressed air does not lose its energy simply because it is surrounded by air at the same pressure. A heated object does not lose its energy simply because it is in an area of "uniformly distributed heat energy".

The reason that I am defending the definition of "potential to do work" is that I think it has some great advantages. Energy appears in so many forms and can so easily change from one form to another (potential gravitational, kinetic, heat, compressed spring, etc.) that I have always admired that "definition", vague as it is.

Last edited: