Definition of Momentum in terms of a partial derivative

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Rahe
Dear Members,

I was going through some video lecture (Quantum Mechanics) when I encountered a definition of momentum as shown in the attached picture.

I do not understand how iota and ħ is ignored ? There are some negligible terms after plus sign. What are those ? In short how they have defied this definition of Momentum ?

thanks
Rahe
 
Attachments
  • 22563730_1126900860774779_1166742900_o.jpg
    22563730_1126900860774779_1166742900_o.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 664
Physics news on Phys.org
Rahe said:
Dear Members,

I was going through some video lecture (Quantum Mechanics) when I encountered a definition of momentum as shown in the attached picture.

I do not understand how iota and ħ is ignored ? There are some negligible terms after plus sign. What are those ? In short how they have defied this definition of Momentum ?

thanks
Rahe
Could you give a reference to the video lecture, and show more of that particular slide?
 
Chandra Prayaga said:
Could you give a reference to the video lecture, and show more of that particular slide?

Thanks for the reply. Kindly find below the link.


The time is 15:47 where this definition is mentioned.

Thank you for the consideration.
 
Rahe said:
The time is 15:47 where this definition is mentioned.
If you listen carefully, you will hear that she says "apart from ##-i \hbar##, which we should remember to put in." The sound is a bit different, which hints at the fact that she just forgot to add the terms when the video was filmed, and the audio comment was added afterwards.

Rahe said:
There are some negligible terms after plus sign. What are those ?
They are not negligible terms, they are the derivatives with respect to the other spherical coordinates (##\theta, \phi##), which are not relevant here (since they commute with ##r##).