Deflection of a Magnet in an Inhomogenous Magnetic Field

In summary: The orientation of the free magnet will be a complicated function that depends on the flux lines of the field combined with precession of the poles.If you have a magnetic dipole the force is given by the potential$$V=-\vec{m} \cdot \vec{B} \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{F}=\vec{\nabla} (\vec{m} \cdot \vec{B}).$$The torque is$$\vec{\tau}=\vec{m} \times \vec{B}.$$
Hornbein
Say I've got a magnet flying through empty space in a homogenous magnetic field. The magnet precesses and flies in a straight path. Now make that magnetic field inhomogenous. The magnet precesses and flies in a curved path. What I can't figure out is why the path is curved. It is because the precession force is stronger on some parts of the magnet as compared with others. But why does this affect the path of the magnet as a whole? I wrongly think it should only cause a wobble or something like that, not change the momentum of the object as a whole.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an external field the dipoles will tend to orient along the field. It the field is uniform the dipole is equally repelled and attracted. It there is a gradient, one end of the dipole will be pulled harder than the other is repelled (or vice versa). The generalization to continuous media is obvious I think.

hutchphd said:
In an external field the dipoles will tend to orient along the field. It the field is uniform the dipole is equally repelled and attracted. It there is a gradient, one end of the dipole will be pulled harder than the other is repelled (or vice versa). The generalization to continuous media is obvious I think.

Thanks to you I see why the flight path is no longer straight. Now let's see if I have this right. The magnet will continue to precess, so the direction of the force will not be constant. The path will be a helix?

The dipoles, if they have angular momentum as well (this is NMR ?), will precess about the flux lines at a rate proportional to the local field strength. In addition they will be attracted towards stronger field as I described. The path of the center of mass of the dipole will not be helical...it will be pulled directly toward the regions of stronger field. This will not generally be along the flux lines

hutchphd said:
The dipoles, if they have angular momentum as well (this is NMR ?), will precess about the flux lines at a rate proportional to the local field strength. In addition they will be attracted towards stronger field as I described. The path of the center of mass of the dipole will not be helical...it will be pulled directly toward the regions of stronger field. This will not generally be along the flux lines

Oh now I get it. It's just a magnet attracting/repelling another magnet. Now let me check if I have this right. The orientation of the free magnet will be a complicated function that depends on the flux lines of the field combined with precession of the poles.

Likes hutchphd
If you have a magnetic dipole the force is given by the potential
$$V=-\vec{m} \cdot \vec{B} \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{F}=\vec{\nabla} (\vec{m} \cdot \vec{B}).$$
The torque is
$$\vec{\tau}=\vec{m} \times \vec{B}.$$

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

The deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field refers to the change in direction or orientation of a magnet when it is placed in a magnetic field that is not uniform or consistent. This deflection is caused by the varying strength or direction of the magnetic field at different points in space.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the deflection of a magnet?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the deflection of a magnet. A stronger magnetic field will cause a greater deflection in the magnet, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller deflection. This is because the force exerted on the magnet by the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the field.

3. What factors can influence the deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

There are several factors that can influence the deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field. Some of these factors include the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the shape and size of the magnet, and the distance between the magnet and the source of the magnetic field.

4. How can the deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field be measured?

The deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field can be measured using a variety of techniques. One common method is to use a compass, which will show the direction in which the magnet is deflected. Another method is to use a magnetometer, which can measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points in space.

5. What are some real-world applications of the deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field?

The deflection of a magnet in an inhomogeneous magnetic field has many practical applications. For example, it is used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce detailed images of the body. It is also used in particle accelerators to control the path of charged particles. Additionally, the deflection of magnets in the Earth's magnetic field is used in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS devices.