1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of a tube beam where hollow is off-center

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    So I am trying to figure out how I can calculate the deflection and ultimate bending moment capacity of a hollow tube beam when the hollow portion is not concentric. A regular concentric tube is easy enough but this has me out of my depth.

I assume that it will no longer be symetric in its reaction and capacity but I am not really sure.

Any tips, links, or general thoughts to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

RKM

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the axis of the bending moment in the same plane as the the two cylindrical axes?

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    Hmmm.. I want to say "no" but I can also see that complicates the problem considerably, the axis of deflection is (I think) no longer in the direction of the load :-(

Let's say "yes" for now and then if my brain doesn't explode trying to wrap itself around that problem I will try to tack the more complex case later.

RKM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook