Degrees of Freedom for a Triatomic Molecule

In summary, a triatomic molecule arranged in a straight line has 5 degrees of freedom, while a V-shaped triatomic molecule, such as H2O gas, has 6 degrees of freedom. This is because the straight line arrangement only allows for 5 degrees of rotational and translational freedom, while the V-shape adds an extra axis of rotation.
vineroon

Homework Statement

A triatomic molecule consists of 3 atoms arranged along a straight line. The molecules can
translate and rotate but not vibrate. How many degrees of freedom are associated with this molecule?

Homework Equations

Molar Heat Capacity of Gases:
Cv = f/2(R)

f - degrees of freedom

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that a triatomic gas would have the same translational motion as that of a monoatomic and diatomic molecule and it would have perhaps more axes of rotational motion than diatomic molecules. And from seeing that diatomic molecules have 5 degrees of freedom after ignoring vibrational motion, I am assuming that you can drop vibrational motion for triatomic molecules as well.

Would I be correct in concluding that a triatomic molecule has 6 degrees of freedom? I came to this conclusion by one more rotational axis. I'm not sure this is correct, however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update:

I don't know if this is correct, but my guess is that there are 5 degrees of rotational and translational freedom. This would be because they are arranged in a straight line.

If they were arranged in a V-shape (such as H2O gas), the degrees of freedom would be 6, correct? If they are in a straight line it is only 5 because rotation on the axis of the molecules would have to be disregarded. However, since the V-shape offsets one of the molecules, there could be an extra axis of rotation.

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could affirm this. :smile:

Yeah it is 6

http://arasaraja.blogspot.com"

vineroon said:
Update:

I don't know if this is correct, but my guess is that there are 5 degrees of rotational and translational freedom. This would be because they are arranged in a straight line.

If they were arranged in a V-shape (such as H2O gas), the degrees of freedom would be 6, correct? If they are in a straight line it is only 5 because rotation on the axis of the molecules would have to be disregarded. However, since the V-shape offsets one of the molecules, there could be an extra axis of rotation.

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could affirm this. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of degrees of freedom for a triatomic molecule?

Degrees of freedom for a triatomic molecule refer to the number of independent motions or parameters that can describe the molecule's configuration or state. This includes translations, rotations, and vibrations.

2. How many degrees of freedom does a triatomic molecule have?

A triatomic molecule has a total of 6 degrees of freedom. This includes 3 translational degrees of freedom, 2 rotational degrees of freedom, and 1 vibrational degree of freedom.

3. Why is the number of degrees of freedom important for understanding a molecule's behavior?

The number of degrees of freedom is important because it determines the amount of energy a molecule can possess and how it can distribute that energy. This affects the molecule's ability to move and react, and ultimately its behavior and properties.

4. How does the number of atoms in a triatomic molecule affect its degrees of freedom?

The number of atoms in a triatomic molecule affects its degrees of freedom because each additional atom adds 3 more degrees of freedom. This means that a molecule with 4 atoms will have a total of 9 degrees of freedom.

5. Can a triatomic molecule have more or less than 6 degrees of freedom?

Yes, a triatomic molecule can have more or less than 6 degrees of freedom depending on its structure and the type of bonds present. For example, a linear triatomic molecule may have 5 degrees of freedom due to restricted rotations, while a non-linear triatomic molecule with a double bond may have 7 degrees of freedom due to additional vibrational modes.