1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of Freedom for a Triatomic Molecule

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A triatomic molecule consists of 3 atoms arranged along a straight line. The molecules can
    translate and rotate but not vibrate. How many degrees of freedom are associated with this molecule?

2. Relevant equations

Molar Heat Capacity of Gases:
    Cv = f/2(R)

f - degrees of freedom

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that a triatomic gas would have the same translational motion as that of a monoatomic and diatomic molecule and it would have perhaps more axes of rotational motion than diatomic molecules. And from seeing that diatomic molecules have 5 degrees of freedom after ignoring vibrational motion, I am assuming that you can drop vibrational motion for triatomic molecules as well.

Would I be correct in concluding that a triatomic molecule has 6 degrees of freedom? I came to this conclusion by one more rotational axis. I'm not sure this is correct, however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2
    Update:

I don't know if this is correct, but my guess is that there are 5 degrees of rotational and translational freedom. This would be because they are arranged in a straight line.

If they were arranged in a V-shape (such as H2O gas), the degrees of freedom would be 6, correct? If they are in a straight line it is only 5 because rotation on the axis of the molecules would have to be disregarded. However, since the V-shape offsets one of the molecules, there could be an extra axis of rotation.

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could affirm this. :smile:

4. Dec 1, 2010 #3
    Yeah it is 6

http://arasaraja.blogspot.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?