Degrees of Freedom: Why 3/2*RT for Kinetic Energy in a Solid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Cisneros778
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I want to know why the average kinetic energy FOR A SOLID is 3/2*RT.

Homework Equations



For every degree of freedom = 1/2*RT
Possible Degrees of freedom are:
Translation, rotation, vibration

The Attempt at a Solution



In a solid, I am certain there is vibrational energy because of the spring like forces from interacting particles in a lattice. This would only account for 1 degree of freedom so far.
I am against saying there is any translation or rotation because the particles are fixed in their respective positions since it is a solid.

So I am confused why the average kinetic energy is 3/2*RT when I see it as 1/2*RT.

(1 degree of freedom) x 1/2*RT = 1/2*RT
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can have vibrations in 3 dimensions.
Every vibration dimension corresponds to 2 degrees of freedom (potential and kinetic energy), so the result is 3RT, for an appropriate temperature range and in a crystal.