1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Thermal) Vibrational degrees of freedom

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    Let's say I have a molecule such as CO2, where there are three atoms and a linear structure. I understand that there are 3 translational degrees of freedom and 2 rotational degrees of freedom (since it's symmetric). However, the number of vibrational degrees of freedom (DoF) confuses me.

My professor says there are 4 DoF. A quick Google search has people claiming 4.

I think the answer is 8 though. There are 4 vibrational modes (if this is correct) for CO2, and each mode gets a DoF from kinetic energy and one from potential energy. This makes 8.

There are also some websites claiming that for a non-linear molecule, there are 3N-6 vibrational modes and for a linear molecule there are 3N-5 vibrational modes. Some websites call these vibrational degrees of freedom instead, but this terminology is important to distinguish since it changes my answer by a factor of 2. Which is correct?

Assume sufficiently high temperatures for this discussion such that no modes are frozen out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    Look at DOF in another way... Try to find the minimum number of coordinates you need to know the exact position of CO2 molecule , there are three atoms with each having x,y coordinates. Assume that you know the distance between Carbon And oxygen atoms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted