1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    Hello, I am trying to prove the following...

lim (x+3) [tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex][tex]/x+5[/tex]

from the left, L=+2
    from the right, L=-2

I used delta-epsilon on the right hand limit and got [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

However, I'm not sure how to proceed when I get to this step while trying to prove the left hand limit:

[tex]\left|x+1\right|[/tex]< [tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex]<[tex]\delta[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are approaching from the left then |x+5|/(x+5)=(-1). So your expression f(x) becomes (-1)*(x+3). The quantity you want to prove less than epsilon is |L-f(x)|. I make that to be |2-(-1)(x+3)|=|x+5|.
  4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    I think I see where you're going, but I want to make sure I have the right idea with the delta-epsilon definition.

lim f(x)=L

[tex]\left|f(x)-L\right|[/tex] <[tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x-a\right|[/tex]< [tex]\delta[/tex]

Is this the same definition that is used to find the one sided limits? If so, how is it manipulated to arrive at the conclusion you provided?

What I was trying to do as I attempted to prove the limit from the right:

[tex]\left|f(x)+2\right|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] < [tex]\delta[/tex]

Which gave me:

[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] <[tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] < [tex]\delta[/tex]

and I called it a day on that one. But when I got to the second one, I tried using the same definition to try to prove the limit. I have a feeling that in the same format, it will give me an incorrect answer...where I am lacking understanding?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook