Delta-Epsilon Proof for f(x) = 2√(x + 1) at x = 3 with L = 4 and ε = 0.2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oneiromancy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Oneiromancy
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I'm just kind of confused on how to handle the absolute value along with the inequality. Bad algebra skills. :(

0 < |x - x_0| < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] | f (x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

I'm given: f(x) = 2[tex]\sqrt{x + 1}[/tex], x[tex]_{0}[/tex] = 3, L = 4, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.2

The attempt at a solution

Nevermind, I tried latex and it messed everything up. Sorry.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, there!

It is best to forget about the epsilon at first, and focus on bounding the difference in terms of delta.

So, we are to bound:
[tex]|\sqrt{2x+1}-\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|=|\frac{2x+1-(2x_{0}+1)}{\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}|=2\frac{|x-x_{0}|}{|\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|}<2\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}[/tex]

You may use this to determine a delta that surely will work for som particular epsilon, say:
[tex]\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{2}\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}[/tex]

Edit:
Seems I used the wrong function, but the technique is similar for your case. Try it out.
 
Last edited:
Did you see my edit?

Follow a similar procedure with |2*sqrt(x+1)-2*sqrt(x0+1)| instead.

Don't bother to use digit-written numbers(like using 3 instead of x0) before the end.