Delta/epsilon two variable limit

In summary, the limit of the function $$\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (0,0)} \frac{5x^2y}{x^2+y^2}$$ is equal to 0, and can be proven by expressing the variables in polar coordinates and using the definition of a limit. Alternatively, it can also be proven by utilizing properties of absolute values and limits of trigonometric functions, or by using the inequality |xy| ≤ (x2 + y2)/2.
iRaid

Homework Statement

In calculus 1, honestly, I never understood this as it just doesn't make sense. Now in multivariable calculus, it still doesn't make sense. After all these engineering, math, and science classes, I still cannot figure these problems out, and it pisses me off! I would appreciate it if someone could explain this example to me...

Evaluate
$$\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (0,0)} \frac{5x^2y}{x^2+y^2}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example problem, the book does not explain this well at all. The answer they get is: You can choose ##\delta = \varepsilon /5## and conclude that the limit = 0.

I don't even see how they just (seemingly) magically conclude that.
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

In calculus 1, honestly, I never understood this as it just doesn't make sense. Now in multivariable calculus, it still doesn't make sense. After all these engineering, math, and science classes, I still cannot figure these problems out, and it pisses me off! I would appreciate it if someone could explain this example to me...

Evaluate

Homework Equations

This is an example problem, the book does not explain this well at all. The answer they get is: You can choose ##\delta = \varepsilon /5## and conclude that the limit = 0.

Any help is appreciated.

Try expressing the variables in polar coordinates. ##(x,y)\to (0,0)## is the same as ##r\to 0##.

iRaid said:

Homework Statement

In calculus 1, honestly, I never understood this as it just doesn't make sense. Now in multivariable calculus, it still doesn't make sense. ...

Evaluate

The definition of a limit would imply that the limit will be 0 if, for every small positive ε, there exists some δ such that |5xy2/(x2 + y2)| < ε whenever the distance from (x,y) to (0,0) is less than δ. We're can always ignore LARGE values of ε, so just assume ε < 1 (you'll see why).

If x2+y2 < δ2, you know that x2 <= (x2+y2) < δ2 < δ; the last inequality depends on δ < ε < 1. So if δ = ε/5, then 5x2 < 5δ = ε. And you know that y/(x2+y2) is sin(θ), whose absolute value is <= 1. That proves the absolute value of the entire fraction is smaller than ε.

az_lender said:
The definition of a limit would imply that the limit will be 0 if, for every small positive ε, there exists some δ such that |5xy2/(x2 + y2)| < ε whenever the distance from (x,y) to (0,0) is less than δ. We're can always ignore LARGE values of ε, so just assume ε < 1 (you'll see why).

If x2+y2 < δ2, you know that x2 <= (x2+y2) < δ2 < δ; the last inequality depends on δ < ε < 1. So if δ = ε/5, then 5x2 < 5δ = ε. And you know that y/(x2+y2) is sin(θ), whose absolute value is <= 1. That proves the absolute value of the entire fraction is smaller than ε.

No, ##\frac y {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}=\sin\theta##.

LCKurtz said:
Try expressing the variables in polar coordinates. ##(x,y)\to (0,0)## is the same as ##r\to 0##.

So I can just change these functions into polar coordinates and solve that way?

Is this the best way to approach these problems?

iRaid said:
So I can just change these functions into polar coordinates and solve that way?

Is this the best way to approach these problems?

There is no best way. What you do depends on the nature of the problem. In this problem the degree of the numerator is 3 and the denominator is 2, plus the ##x^2+y^2## in the denominator suggest trying polar coordinates. Try it.

This is also possible without polar co-ordinates. Start with the definition:

$$∀ε>0,∃δ>0 \space | \space 0<||(x,y)-(0,0)||<δ⇒|\frac{5x^2 y}{x^2+y^2}-0|<ε$$

Note that ##||(x,y)-(0,0)||<δ⇒|x|<δ∧ |y|<δ##.

By the triangle inequality:

##|\frac{5x^2 y}{x^2+y^2}-0|= \frac{5|x|^2 |y|}{|x^2+y^2|} ≤ \frac{5|x|^2 |y|}{|x|^2+|y|^2 } < \frac{5δ^3}{2δ^2} < \frac{5δ^3}{δ^2} = 5δ##

So we have:

##5δ ≤ ε ⇒ δ ≤ \frac{ε}{5}##

Therefore, by choosing ##δ ≤ \frac{ε}{5}, |\frac{5|x|^2 |y|}{|x^2+y^2|}-0|<ε##. Although you should try the polar co-ordinates as well as it is often a useful trick. Try proving the chosen ##\delta## does indeed satisfy the definition.

Last edited:
Perhaps simpler:

If ##x = 0## and ##y \neq 0##, then we have
$$\frac{5x^2y}{x^2+y^2} = 0$$

If ##x \neq 0## we may write
$$\frac{5x^2y}{x^2+y^2} = \frac{5y}{1 + y^2/x^2}$$
As ##y \rightarrow 0##, the numerator goes to zero. The denominator is at least ##1## for all ##x,y##. What can you conclude?

If we are going to explore alternatives, you can also use ##|xy|\le \frac{x^2+y^2} 2## which comes from ##(|x|-|y|)^2\ge 0##. Then$$
\left|\frac{5x^2y}{x^2+y^2}\right|\le 5 |x|\left|\frac{xy}{x^2+y^2}\right|\le\frac 5 2 |x|$$which leads to a solution too. So @iraid, I guess you have seen more than one way to skin this particular cat. Still, I think polar coordinates is the simplest.

What is the definition of a delta/epsilon two variable limit?

The delta/epsilon definition of a limit is a mathematical method used to precisely define the limit of a function at a specific point. It involves two variables, delta (δ) and epsilon (ε), which represent the distance between the input and the limit point and the distance between the output and the limit, respectively.

How is the delta/epsilon definition used to prove the existence of a limit?

The delta/epsilon definition allows us to prove the existence of a limit by showing that for any given epsilon, we can find a delta such that the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta, which will result in the distance between the output and the limit being less than epsilon. This means that the function is approaching a specific value as the input gets closer to the limit point.

What is the importance of the delta/epsilon definition in calculus?

The delta/epsilon definition is important in calculus because it provides a rigorous and precise way to define limits, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. It allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values, which is crucial in many applications of calculus.

How is the delta/epsilon definition used to prove continuity?

The delta/epsilon definition is used to prove continuity by showing that the limit of a function at a specific point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that the function is continuous at that point, as it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

What are some common misconceptions about the delta/epsilon definition?

One common misconception about the delta/epsilon definition is that it is the only way to define limits. While it is a widely used and important method, there are other definitions of limits, such as the sequential definition. Another misconception is that the delta and epsilon values must be fixed numbers, when in fact they can vary depending on the specific function and limit point being considered.