Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta function for grassmann numbers?

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    Claim: if [tex]\psi[/tex] is a variable grassmann number, then [tex]\delta(\psi)=\psi[/tex] is a Dirac delta function for integrals over [tex]\psi[/tex].

I'm not seeing this.

A general function of a grassmann number can be written [tex]f(\psi)=a+b\psi[/tex] because anti-commutativity requires [tex]\psi^2=0[/tex]. According to the wikipedia article (which doesn't elaborate on why), integrals satisfy

[tex]\int 1 d\psi=0[/tex]
    [tex]\int \psi d\psi=1[/tex]

Ok. So let's check.

[tex]\int\delta(\psi-\psi')f(\psi)d\psi[/tex]
    [tex]=\int(\psi-\psi')f(\psi)d\psi[/tex]
    [tex]=\int(\psi-\psi')(a+b\psi)d\psi[/tex]
    [tex]=a\int \psi d\psi + 0 -a\psi'\int d\psi-b\psi'\int\psi d\psi[/tex]
    [tex]=a - 0 -b\psi'[/tex]
    [tex]=f(-\psi')[/tex]
    [tex]\neq f(\psi')[/tex]

Are one of my assumptions wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The definition of [itex]\delta[/itex] is [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x) f(x) \, dx = f(0)[/itex].

Does that change of variable make sense for such integrals? Does it make sense for f?

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    I don't know, Hurkyl. I'm not even sure what integration itself means here. I am just following the steps in a formal sort of way. Warren Siegel on page 48 of Fields has that [tex]\int d\psi'(\psi'-\psi)f(\psi')=f(\psi)[/tex] (the prime-unprimed reverse of what I have above.) But I get [tex]f(-\psi)[/tex] .

Never mind if we can call it the delta function. Siegel himself puts "anti-commuting delta function" in quotes.

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember trying to read through that book; I stopped after finding that section extremely off-putting. :frown:

Anyways, one thing Siegel says in that section is if we write [itex]f(\psi) = a + b \psi[/itex], then a and b aren't necessarily complex scalars -- they can be commuting numbers or anticommuting numbers or whatever.

Assuming that we really do have
    [tex]\int d\psi (a + b \psi) = b[/tex]
    whenever a and b don't involve psi, then if I take special care not to pass any variable through another I get

[tex]\int d\psi' (\psi' - \psi) f(\psi') = -\psi b + \int d\psi' \psi' a[/tex]

which can be rearranged to

[tex]= f(\psi) - \{\psi, b\} + \int d\psi' [\psi', a][/tex]

of course, it can be rearranged into other things -- such as

[tex]= f(-\psi) - [\psi, b] + \int d\psi' [\psi', a][/tex]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  6. Dec 20, 2009 #5
    I think I'm with you about that section. I'll just let it go and press on.

Thanks!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook