1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Demagnetization of repelling poles

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    Bit of a simple question but one I've never really had to think about.

Lets say you have two opposing poles of a magnet (a ferromagnet i guess), they repel of course, but will forcing them to stay next to each other eventually demagnetize them?
    My instinct tells me no, but maybe the force generated could disorganise the manetic dipoles in the ferromagnet?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    Interesting question, conventionally to destroy the dipoles in a magnet, sufficient heat past its Curie point and impact of the material will disable the magnetic capabilities. Try doing a simple experiment first, magnetize an iron nail, then repel the like poles with a permanent magnet. However, I do agree with your intuition that it will not disorganize the dipole. It will most probably require a huge amount of opposing magnetic force (i.e. electromagnetic pulse in the opposing direction.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook