One misconception about magnets

• Thread starter UsualMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic poles and their interaction. The speaker mentions that they have found their refrigerator magnets always attract each other, which contradicts the common belief that like poles repel and unlike poles attract. They then explain that fridge magnets are made from a composition of tiny magnets and non-magnetized material, which results in the poles being distributed equally on the surface. This means that there are equal forces of repulsion and attraction, which explains why the fridge magnets always attract and never repel each other. The speaker also mentions that not all magnetic fields have well-defined poles, which may contribute to the confusion around fridge magnets.
UsualMan
Hi, everyone!

Everywhere is said that when two magnets meet each other, like poles repel and unlike - attract.
I checked this statement for my refrigerator magnets, and, surprisingly, I can't find a confirmation here: the refrigerator magnets always attract each other and never repel, so one may think, that no matter how you place two fridge magnets together - they will always contact with the unlike poles. I tried to rotate them - no result.
Of course, this can't be the case, that such magnets stick to a fridge with always different poles. There are only two poles, so among all my fridge magnets I would expect two find at least two, which will repel each other. But I haven't found.

On one website I have read the following explanation: fridge magnets are weak, because they are not just usual iron magnets, but they are made from composition of tiny magnets and some other non-magnetized material. These magnets are faced with different poles towards the surface, and these poles are distributed nearly equally. When two such fridge magnets of the same size face each other, that site stated, that the tiny magnets of those magnets orient themselves in such way that they align themselves in order to turn with unlike poles to each other.

I don't fully understand that. If we try to join two simple magnets with like poles to each other, they will repel, won't they? But in fridge magnets, as it was said, poles are distributed equally on the surface, so there should be equal forces of repulsion and attraction. However, these magnets attract and don't repel. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all magnetic fields have well-defined poles.

1. What is the most common misconception about magnets?

The most common misconception about magnets is that they have magical or supernatural powers. This belief is often perpetuated by media and entertainment, but in reality, magnets follow the laws of physics and do not possess any mystical abilities.

2. Can magnets attract or repel anything?

Magnets can only attract or repel objects that contain iron, nickel, or cobalt. These materials have magnetic properties and are affected by the magnetic field of a magnet. Other materials, such as plastic or wood, are not affected by magnets.

3. Do magnets have a north and south pole?

Yes, magnets have two poles, a north pole and a south pole. The north pole of one magnet will attract the south pole of another magnet, while two north poles or two south poles will repel each other.

4. Is it true that magnets can lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if the magnet is exposed to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields. Additionally, dropping or banging a magnet can also cause it to lose its magnetism.

5. Are all magnets the same strength?

No, not all magnets are the same strength. The strength of a magnet is determined by its size and the material it is made of. For example, a larger magnet made of neodymium will be stronger than a smaller magnet made of iron.