Demand Function and Rate of Change

In summary: I am taking calculus right now, and this is one of my homework problems, so that is why I am struggling. I'm trying to understand. I get super confused in word problems, but now I see time. Thanks. I'm going to try this out and see what happens.In summary, the person is struggling with an equation which is giving them trouble. They are either taking calculus or have some knowledge of calculus which will help them with the problem.
TrendyBendy

Homework Statement

The demand function for a certain product is given by pq=4000, where p is the price charged per item and q is the quantity which can be sold at that price. If the product currently sells for $3.50 per item, what would be the rate of change of quantity over time if the rate of change of price over time is $0.50?

Homework Equations

pq=4000

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, the getting started part is what is tripping me up. The equation looks simple enough but TOO simple. It's throwing me off! I know I need to find the derivative, so I'm thinking (3.50)q=4000, but I'm so unsure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you saw an equation like:
p(t)q(t) = K

would you be able to find dq/dt?

milesyoung said:
If you saw an equation like:
p(t)q(t) = K

would you be able to find dq/dt?

I guess. That does look a lot more familiar than what my equation looks like. But there is no t, so I feel lost.

You can let p and q be functions of any variable you'd like. Choose what makes sense for the problem you're given.

Do you know the product or chain rule, or both?

But that's just the thing. I've searched everywhere, even my textbook, and nothing looks like this demand function. Even in my book the functions that it asks me to solve have a more comprehensive function, like : "the demand function for a certain product is given by p=50,000-q/25,000, fin the marginal revenue of q=10,000 units and p is in dollars." This makes more sense to me, I can work with this. But this function, pq=4000 just doesn't look right. I don't "know" the product or chain rule very well. I can follow steps, but none of this is sticking in my brain very well!

I'm far from an expert in economics, so I just see: Price goes up → demand goes down and vice versa. It might be a poor model compared to what you're used to but that doesn't mean we can't figure out the math problem you posted.

Try finding the derivative with respect to t of both sides of:
p(t)q(t) = K

where K is a constant.

TrendyBendy said:

Homework Statement

The demand function for a certain product is given by pq=4000, where p is the price charged per item and q is the quantity which can be sold at that price. If the product currently sells for $3.50 per item, what would be the rate of change of quantity over time if the rate of change of price over time is $0.50?

Homework Equations

pq=4000

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, the getting started part is what is tripping me up. The equation looks simple enough but TOO simple. It's throwing me off! I know I need to find the derivative, so I'm thinking (3.50)q=4000, but I'm so unsure!

Have you taken calculus? If so, this is an easy problem: you are given that p and q depend on t (t = time) and you are given dp/dt = 0.5 at the point p = p(t) = 3.5. Remember, p and q are related through p*q = 4000; that is, you need to preserve the relationship p(t)*q(t) = 4000 for all t.

Things will be a bit more challenging if you have not had calculus. We cannot guess what you know; you need to tell us.

Ray Vickson said:
Have you taken calculus? If so, this is an easy problem: you are given that p and q depend on t (t = time) and you are given dp/dt = 0.5 at the point p = p(t) = 3.5. Remember, p and q are related through p*q = 4000; that is, you need to preserve the relationship p(t)*q(t) = 4000 for all t.

Things will be a bit more challenging if you have not had calculus. We cannot guess what you know; you need to tell us.

I am taking calculus right now, and this is one of my homework problems, so that is why I am struggling. I'm trying to understand. I get super confused in word problems, but now I see time. Thanks. I'm going to try this out and see what happens.

I'm so confused and lost. Can someone please just tell me the equation I need to start with? I'm racking my brain. I need to see what steps I need to take. Now I've got all the components but have no clue as to where to put everything.

As I said, you could start by finding the derivative with respect to t of both sides of:
p(t)q(t) = K

That would give you an equation with dq/dt in it for you to isolate. You would need to apply the product rule.

Alternatively, isolate q(t) first and use the chain rule to find dq/dt.

1. What is a demand function?

A demand function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the quantity of a product or service that consumers are willing and able to purchase at a given price. It typically takes the form of Q = f(P), where Q represents quantity and P represents price.

2. How is the demand function related to the rate of change?

The demand function is directly related to the rate of change, as it shows the change in quantity demanded for a given change in price. The slope of the demand function, also known as the marginal rate of substitution, represents the rate of change and can be calculated by taking the derivative of the demand function.

3. What factors affect the demand function?

There are several factors that can affect the demand function, including consumer preferences, income levels, availability of substitutes, and changes in market trends or demographics. These factors can cause shifts in the demand curve, resulting in changes in the quantity demanded at a given price.

4. How does elasticity relate to the demand function?

Elasticity is a measure of the responsiveness of quantity demanded to changes in price. It is closely related to the demand function, as it is influenced by the slope of the demand curve. A steeper demand curve indicates a more inelastic demand, while a flatter demand curve indicates a more elastic demand.

5. How can the demand function be used in practical applications?

The demand function has various practical applications, such as forecasting sales and setting prices. By analyzing the demand function, businesses can determine the optimal price for their products or services, as well as predict how changes in price may impact the quantity demanded. It can also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of marketing strategies and make informed business decisions.