1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of product of two uniform RVs

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If X,Y are independent RVs ~ U[-1,1], and W=X*Y, find the density of W.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel my approach is right, but the bounds of my final integral don't make sense.
    [tex]
    F_{XY}(w)=P(XY \leq w)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} P(XY \leq w | Y=y)*f_Y(y)dy \\
    =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}P(X*y \leq w)*f_Y(y)dy \\
    =\int_{-1}^{1}P(X*y \leq w)*f_Y(y)dy \\
    =\int_{-1}^{1}P(X \leq w/y)*f_Y(y)dy \\
    =\int_{-1}^{1}F_X(w/y)*f_Y(y)dy \\

[/tex]
    For some RV Z, Z~U[-1,1], [itex] F_Z(z)=(z+1)/2 [/itex]
    And the density of Y is constant (1/2).
    So the integral becomes
    [tex]
    \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{\frac{w}{y}+1}{2}*\frac{1}{2}dy \\
    =\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{w}{4y}+\frac{1}{4} dy \\
    =\frac{w}{4}log(y)+\frac{y}{4} \rvert_{-1}^1 \\
    [/tex]

which obviously has a problem.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

W can range from -1 to +1. To disentangle signs I think it is easiest to look at P{W > w} for 0 < w < 1 and P{W < w} for -1 < w < 0. For example, for 0 < w < 1, what is the event {W > w} in (X,Y) space?

RGV

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the reply, although I am not sure I understand your suggestions. I thought the general strategy to these types of problems was to find the cdf and differentiate. In this way, I don't know how P(W>w) can be of particular use. Are you suggesting a different approach? I tried taking the double integral of W<=w for each case (quadrant), but it seems like since the function is symmetric, it would either evaluate to 0 or (taking the integral of |W| when y<0), just 2...

*Small note: my original calculation was also a bit incorrect, since I need to break up the integral into two components, since the inequality flips when y is negative--although I run into similar limit problems there.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

G(w) = Pr(W > w) = 1 - F(w) = 1 - P(W <= w), so the density f(w) = dF/dw = -dG/dw. That is used in lots of places, and you should get familiar with it.

RGV

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    Ok, that makes sense, but I don't see how it helps my integral problem, since I still have to compute essentially the same integral. Also, I realized that the reason I was having a lot of trouble was that log|x| actually cannot be integrated using those bounds.

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the suggestion I made helped ME a lot; the integration regions are easier, etc. However, if you don't care to do that, use whatever method you want---just be really careful about the integration limits.

As you say, log |x| cannot be integrated directly, but it is a piecewise-smooth function what can be integrated with no problem within the two separate regions x < 0 and x > 0. That's all you need.

RGV

8. Oct 18, 2012 #7
    I must still be missing something here. Here's what I'm getting for 0<w<1, for example. Thanks for your patience.

[tex]
    G(w)=P(XY>w)=\int P(Xy>w|Y=y)f_Y(y)dy \\
    =\int_0^1 P(X>w/y)f(y)dy+\int_{-1}^0 P(X<w/y)f(y)dy \\
    =\int_0^1 \left(1-\frac{w/y+1}{2}\right)*\frac{1}{2}+\int_{-1}^{0}\frac{w/y+1}{2}f(y)dy \\
    =1/4\int_0^1 dy-1/4 \int_0^1 w/y dy +1/2\int_{-1}^{0}w/y dy + 1/4 \int_{-1}^{0}dy \\
    = \frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4}\int_0^1\frac{w}{y}dy+\frac{1}{4}\int_{-1}^{0}\frac{w}{y}dy \\
    [/tex]

Also, I misspoke in my last comment about integrating ln|x|. I actually meant integrating 1/x, as you can see above.

9. Oct 19, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That seems complicated to me. For 0 < w < 1 the region {X*Y>w} consists of two right-triangular shapes (with a curved hypotenuse), one with its right angle at the top right and one with its right angle at the bottom left of the square [-1,1]^2. The two areas are equal, and the probability is the sum of the areas divided by the normalization factor 4, So, the probability is
    [tex] P(W > w) = 2 \frac{1}{4} \int_{x=w}^1 \int_{y=w/x}^1 dy \, dx
    = \frac{1}{2} \int_{w}^1 \left(1-\frac{w}{x}\right) \,dx = \frac{1}{2} \left[ 1-w +w \ln(w) \right].[/tex]
    For -1 < w < 0, P(W < w) is the same as P(W > |w|); just look at the geometric figures involved.

RGV

10. Oct 20, 2012 #9
    Ah, now I understand the use of 1-F(w), etc. A very useful trick, indeed. Thanks a lot, this was very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook