Density of states, photonic crystal

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate and plot the density of states of a photonic crystal. The participants share links to articles and discuss various methods and software for plotting the data. It is concluded that the question is more about how to plot the data rather than how to calculate it.
Laplas
Hello!
I know how to calculate band structure and density of states of photonic crystal (example is pic.1)
getImage.xqy?img=OG0kcC5sYXJnZSxvZS0yMS00LTQwNzItZzAwNA.jpg

Does anybody know how to plot such DOS maps?
O0fbJXNKQFs.jpg

The second picture is from the article about photonic crystal fibers by Rodrigo Amezcua.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression "heat map", e.g. from gnuplot, cimes to my mind.

DrDu said:
The expression "heat map", e.g. from gnuplot, cimes to my mind.
Ok.
But it is the density of states of a photonic crystal. May be you know how to plot it like on the picture 2?

If this is a question how to produce this kind of coloured plot of a function of two variables, then I think I already provided an answer. Or do you mean how to calculate the DOS as a function of ##n_{eff}## and ## \lambda/\Lambda##, which I could be of little help?

DrDu said:
If this is a question how to produce this kind of coloured plot of a function of two variables, then I think I already provided an answer. Or do you mean how to calculate the DOS as a function of ##n_{eff}## and ## \lambda/\Lambda##, which I could be of little help?
I mean how to calculate the DOS as a function of neff and λ/Λ.

I would be grateful if you can help me.

Do you have a proper citation for the article this is from?

Isn't this more of a question on how one plots a contour map, i.e. a software question? Considering that you claim that you know how to calculate the DOS, it means that you already have the necessary data to be plotted. From what I can understand, that leaves the question on how you plot that data.

Or am I missing something?

Zz.

I can't follow these links you provided.

ZapperZ said:
Isn't this more of a question on how one plots a contour map, i.e. a software question? Considering that you claim that you know how to calculate the DOS, it means that you already have the necessary data to be plotted. From what I can understand, that leaves the question on how you plot that data.

Or am I missing something?

Zz.
I don`t know how to calculate the DOS as a function of neff and λ/Λ.

1. What is the density of states in a photonic crystal?

The density of states in a photonic crystal refers to the number of available states for a photon to occupy. It is typically lower in a photonic crystal compared to a traditional material due to the presence of a band gap.

2. How does the density of states in a photonic crystal affect light propagation?

The density of states in a photonic crystal plays a crucial role in determining the propagation of light. It affects the speed and direction of light as well as the wavelengths that can be transmitted through the crystal.

3. Can the density of states in a photonic crystal be tailored or controlled?

Yes, the density of states in a photonic crystal can be engineered by adjusting the crystal's structure, such as the size and spacing of the periodic features. This allows for precise control over the properties of light propagation through the crystal.

4. What is the significance of the band gap in a photonic crystal?

The band gap in a photonic crystal is a range of frequencies where no electromagnetic waves can propagate through the crystal. This is important for applications such as creating optical filters and controlling the flow of light in photonic devices.

5. How is the density of states in a photonic crystal related to its refractive index?

The refractive index of a material is directly related to its density of states. In a photonic crystal, the presence of a band gap and lower density of states leads to a higher refractive index compared to traditional materials. This can result in unique optical properties and applications.