Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of replicating phonon density of states (PHDOS) diagrams for solids using Quantum Espresso. The usual procedure involves conducting an scf calculation at minima, calculating the dynamical matrix in reciprocal space, determining interatomic force constants in real space, and calculating phonon frequency. However, there is a difference in the frequencies obtained compared to an example, and it is suggested to calculate at the gamma point. The person seeking help is asking for advice on how to obtain the phonon density of states at the gamma point. In response, it is explained that it is not possible to calculate a density of states at a single point in the Brillouin zone and a tutorial is recommended as a resource
RaquelYR
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to replicate phonon density of states (PHDOS) diagrams for some solids using Quantum Espresso. The usual way I do it is the following one:

1. scf calculation at minima (pw.x)
  2. Calculation of dynamical matrix in reciprocal space with nq=1 or 2 (ph.x)
  3. Calculation of interatomic force constants in real space (q2r.c)
  4. Calculation of phonon frequency (matdyn.x)
The frequencies I obtained differ with the ones of the example. The only significant difference that I find is that they perform the calculation at Gamma Point. I have tried to carry out my procedure at gamma point but it seems to be incompatible.

Does any one know how can I get the phonon density of states at gamma point?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes no sense to calculate a density of states at the gamma point. The gamma point is only a single point in the Brillouin zone, whereas a density of states gives you the number of states across the entire Brillouin zone with energies between ##E## and ##E+dE##. Regardless, here’s a tutorial for getting a phonon DOS specifically (this person has a whole series of tutorials for Quantum Espresso that are quite good):

Likes gentzen, raisins and Lord Jestocost

1. What is the "Gamma Point" in Phonon Density of States (PDOS)?

The "Gamma Point" in Phonon Density of States (PDOS) refers to the point in the Brillouin zone where the wave vector is equal to zero. This point is also known as the center of the Brillouin zone and is used as a reference point for calculating the phonon dispersion and density of states.

2. How is the Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point calculated?

The Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point is calculated by integrating the phonon density of states over all phonon modes at the Gamma Point. This can be done using various methods such as density functional theory (DFT) calculations or experimental techniques like inelastic neutron scattering.

3. What information can be obtained from the Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point?

The Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point provides information about the vibrational modes and energy distribution of a material at the center of the Brillouin zone. It can also give insights into the thermal and mechanical properties of the material, such as specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity.

4. How does the Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point vary for different materials?

The Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point can vary greatly for different materials depending on their crystal structures, chemical compositions, and bonding types. For example, materials with more complex crystal structures may have a more intricate PDOS at Gamma Point compared to materials with simpler structures.

5. Can the Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Phonon Density of States (PDOS) at Gamma Point can be experimentally measured using techniques such as inelastic neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and terahertz spectroscopy. These methods can provide valuable information about the phonon behavior and properties of a material at the center of the Brillouin zone.