1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density, Volume and Slicing Problem

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compressible liquid has density which varies with height. AT the level of h meters above the bottom, the density is 40(5 - h) kg/m3
    a) The liquid is put in the containers below. The cross sections of the container are isosceles triangles. It has straight sides and looks like a triangular prism. How many kg will it hold when placed as shown on the left, resting on one triangular side?​
    DensityPRoblem.jpg
    ^There is a picture of the object.

2. Relevant equations
    Mass = Volume times Density

3. The attempt at a solution
    My theory is that since M = V*D, and you're given the density, should I slice and solve for volume, then evaluate the integral of volume and the given integral for density then multiply the results to get the mass?
    [tex]\int^{4}_{0}2.5 dh[/tex] and [tex]40\int^{4}_{0}5-h dh[/tex]

I got to the first integral by taking the volume of the first slice (triangular prism):
    [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2}b*l*\Delta h[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2}2*2.5\Delta h[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] lim as [tex]\Delta h[/tex] [tex]\rightharpoonup[/tex][tex]\int^{4}_{0}2.5 dh[/tex]

To find the mass, according to the equation M=VD, should I solve both integrals , one being V and one being D, then multiply?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2
    Ah... It's starting to make more sense now, thanks. So since density is varying with the height we make it all one integral rather than separate ones. Part B is the same question except with the 4m on the ground on its point with the rectangle side up. I figured once I'd managed A, B would be simple. Thanks!

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook