Deravatives help(I think it's done by chain rule)

In summary, the person is seeking help with solving an equation, but they do not provide the equation. They mention finding the equation of the tangent line at a given point and use the derivative formula to solve it. They also mention using the slope-intercept form of a line, but make a mistake in their calculations and do not use the correct slope. They also mention the chain rule, but it is not applicable in this situation.
Goethe10
Hi everybody I'm trying to solve this equation
the text in shown picture basically asks to find meaning of Xo

fc8b2b1a68fe.png

By doing this
3af06c287d76.png

But it says my answer is wrong, can anyone tell me why, Thank you?(Also what is this equation called in English?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You title this "derivatives help", but then say "I am trying to solve this equation". But then you do NOT give any equation, rather a function [itex]f(x)= x^3+ x^2- 2x+ 3[/itex].

I think you are trying to find the equation of the tangent line at (1, -3). You have below that [itex]3x^2+ 2x- x[/itex] but don't say what that is! I think you meant to find the derivative but, if so, it is wrong. "[itex]3x^2[/itex]" is the derivative of [itex]x^3[/itex], "[itex]2x[/itex]" is the derivative of [itex]x^2[/itex] and "0" is the derivative of the constant -3, but the derivative of "[itex]-2x[/itex]" is -2, NOT x.
The derivative is [itex]3x^2+ 2x- 2[/itex]. Evaluate that at x= 1 to find the slope of the tangent line.

You have the formula "[itex]y- y_0= m(x- x_0)[/itex]" up on the right side. That is, of course, the equation of a line through the point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] with slope m. But you don't use that or write the equation of the tangent line in that form. I see "[itex]-3= 4(1- x_0)[/itex]". In addition to the incorrect slope (4 is wrong), you have x and [itex]x_0[/itex] reversed. "[itex]x_0[/itex]" is the "1" of (1, -3).

And, no, the "chain rule" has nothing to do with this.

Can you please translate this:

fc8b2b1a68fe.png

I figured it out :P
Thanks Ivy.
@Micromass
I can't unfortunately. well Here is what I did
I found derivative of f(x)= x^3+x^2-2x-3
which is 3x^2+2x-2
I knew that X0=1 and Y0=-3
then I inserted 1 instead of X0 and got 3
So I used this formula
(Y-y0)=K(x-x0)
I inserted x0 and y0 and I got
Y + 3 = 3( X - 1)
I made Y=0, since I want to find Abscissa(x0)
So 3 = 3x - 3
6 = 3x
x = 2.

Last edited:

1. What is the chain rule in derivatives?

The chain rule is a mathematical tool used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. In simpler terms, it helps us find the rate of change of a function within another function.

2. How is the chain rule applied in derivatives?

The chain rule is applied by taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be written as (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

3. Why is the chain rule important in derivatives?

The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is an essential tool in calculus and is used in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not correctly identifying the inner and outer functions, and making errors in the derivative calculations of each function.

5. Can the chain rule be used for higher-order derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to higher-order derivatives, which are derivatives of derivatives. The chain rule can be applied multiple times to find the derivative of a function with multiple nested functions.