1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deravatives help(I think it's done by chain rule)

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    Hi everybody I'm trying to solve this equation
    the text in shown picture basically asks to find meaning of Xo

fc8b2b1a68fe.png
    By doing this
    3af06c287d76.png
    But it says my answer is wrong, can anyone tell me why, Thank you?(Also what is this equation called in English?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You title this "derivatives help", but then say "I am trying to solve this equation". But then you do NOT give any equation, rather a function [itex]f(x)= x^3+ x^2- 2x+ 3[/itex].

I think you are trying to find the equation of the tangent line at (1, -3). You have below that [itex]3x^2+ 2x- x[/itex] but don't say what that is! I think you meant to find the derivative but, if so, it is wrong. "[itex]3x^2[/itex]" is the derivative of [itex]x^3[/itex], "[itex]2x[/itex]" is the derivative of [itex]x^2[/itex] and "0" is the derivative of the constant -3, but the derivative of "[itex]-2x[/itex]" is -2, NOT x.
    The derivative is [itex]3x^2+ 2x- 2[/itex]. Evaluate that at x= 1 to find the slope of the tangent line.

You have the formula "[itex]y- y_0= m(x- x_0)[/itex]" up on the right side. That is, of course, the equation of a line through the point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] with slope m. But you don't use that or write the equation of the tangent line in that form. I see "[itex]-3= 4(1- x_0)[/itex]". In addition to the incorrect slope (4 is wrong), you have x and [itex]x_0[/itex] reversed. "[itex]x_0[/itex]" is the "1" of (1, -3).

And, no, the "chain rule" has nothing to do with this.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you please translate this:

fc8b2b1a68fe.png

5. Jul 3, 2013 #4
    I figured it out :P
    Thanks Ivy.
    @Micromass
    I can't unfortunately. well Here is what I did
    I found derivative of f(x)= x^3+x^2-2x-3
    which is 3x^2+2x-2
    I knew that X0=1 and Y0=-3
    then I inserted 1 instead of X0 and got 3
    So I used this formula
    (Y-y0)=K(x-x0)
    I inserted x0 and y0 and I got
    Y + 3 = 3( X - 1)
    I made Y=0, since I want to find Abscissa(x0)
    So 3 = 3x - 3
    6 = 3x
    x = 2.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted