1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule proof help me dunno what's wrong

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    this is kinda funny i've been strugglnig with the proof for 3 hours straight today
    long story short(<--sorry couldn't find the best way t o say this ) i made it to this statement
    lim(x->a) g(x) if this is equal to g(x) then my proof is done
    lim(x->a) f(a) if this is equal to f(x) then my proof is done
    what's on my mind : this is obviously NOT correct ,after 3 hours of pain i decided to check the txtbook found everything that ive doneto this part and they just write
    lim(x->a) g(x)=g(x) and lim(x->a) f(a)=f(x) vthis made me pretty mad i have no idea how they've done this , i was good at limits i have no idea how is this correct if someone can help explain it to me please

forgot to metion i don't think this is important though they use h instead of x-a
    chain rule = d/dx (f*g) = df/dxf*g+dg/dxg*f

2. Relevant equations
    without reading the above why lim(x->a) g(x)=g(x)
    and why lim(x->a) f(a)=f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    what i've said up

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\lim_{x\to a}g(x)## is not equal to g(x). Note that this wouldn't even make sense, since x is a dummy variable in ##\lim_{x\to a}g(x)##. This expression means the same thing as ##\lim_{t\to a}g(t)##. It's equal to g(a) if and only if g is continuous at a. (Note that if g is differentiable at a, it is also continuous at a).

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3
    Oh i totally missed this part g is actually continous at a thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted