1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation FOR THE SURFACE AREA OF A SPHERE

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    [tex] 4 \pi r^2 = SA [/tex] for a sphere. everybody knows that.

but, how do you derive this by integrating infinitesimal amounts of area over the curvature of the sphere????

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

think of a curve you could rotate around an axis to get a sphere

an surface area element is dA = 2.pi.ds, with ds an infinitesimal length along curve... imagine unrotating a tiny strip

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

There are many ways
    -integrate over the area
    note r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2
    or use parameters like
    x=cos(s)cos(t)
    y=cos(s)sin(t)
    z=sin(s)
    -project a circle
    the projection will be 4 circles
    4*pi*r^2
    -consider the solid of revolution of a semi circle
    -differentiate the volume
    [(4/3)pi*r^3]'=4pi*r^2

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "standard" way of finding surface area (although I like orthovector's method, treating it as a semicircle rotated around the y-axis better):

In spherical coordinates, [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex].

Taking [itex]\rho[/itex] constant, say [itex]\rho= R[/itex], gives the surface of the sphere of radius R in terms of parameters [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] and we can write the vector equation as
    [tex]\vec{r}= Rcos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ Rsin(\theta)\sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ Rcos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
    Differentiating with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] gives to tangent vectors to that surface
    [tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -Rsin(\theta)sin(\phi}\vec{i}+ Rcos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_\phi= Rcos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ Rcos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{j}- Rsin(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]

The "fundamental vector product" for the surface is the cross product of those two tangent vectors:
    [tex]R^2cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}- R^2sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}- R^2sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
    is perpendicular to the surface and its length, [itex]R^2 sin(\phi)[/itex] gives the "differential of surface area", [itex]R^2 sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi[/itex]. To cover the entire surface of the sphere, [itex]\theta[/itex] must range from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] must range from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. The surface area is given by
    [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi= 0}^\pi R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Integrating with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] immediately gives
    [tex]2\pi R^2 \int_{\phi= 0}^\pi sin(\phi)d\phi= -2\pi R^2 cos(\phi)\right|_0^\pi[/tex]
    [tex]= -2\pi R^2 \left(-1- 1)= 4\pi R^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook