Derivation of electric potential due to point charge

In summary, the potential energy of an object, due to its position in an electric field, is reduced by the work done moving the charge from its original position to the point in the field. If the charge is stationary, the potential energy is zero. If the charge is moved from infinity to a point in the field, the potential energy is V=-KQ. Radial direction is special in this case, as the direction of ds is determined by the direction of dr and the angle between E and ds.
Sumedh
Electric potential is the work done in moving a unit charge from infinity to a point in an electric field.

Electric potential due to point charge:
[itex]V=-\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}[/itex]
[itex]V=-\int E\cdot ds cos \vartheta[/itex]
if the stationary charge is positive and
if the test charge is is moved from infinity to point P
then
[itex]V=-\int E\cdot ds cos 180[/itex]
[itex]V=-KQ \int \frac {1}{r^2} ds cos 180[/itex]

now how to solve further
as stationary charge is positive the electric field is outward i.e. from p to infinity
and movement of charge is from infinity to P
specially the signs and the direction of the field and the direction of ds
and definite integration from P to infinity or from infinity to P?
please give some imaginary picture or idea of how the test charge moves
I am confused with it please help.

Attachments

• d.png
    d.png
    691 bytes · Views: 1,338
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the angle between E and ds is 180o, then, where in what direction is ds directed?

from infinity towards Q
now i have attached an image in the original post

Yes, but how do we call this direction? It has a "special relation" to one of the variables in your equations.

it should have relation with
[itex] \frac {1}{r^2} [/itex]

Yes. How do we call a straight line starting from a point a going to infinity?

i imagined that it may be a straight line i.e. the shortest distance between infinity and P

This straight line is called a ray, and the direction is called radial direction. On it, [itex]ds = dr[/itex]. You need to use this.

I am confused with the signs and directions of ds ,dr and test charge and also
how work done by external element is negative of work done by electric field.

I never understood, why integration in tensor calculus is obscured by some awkward notation. I guess, many textbook writers think, it's more intuitive to work with angles instead of vectors, but that's not true. To calculate a line integral, it's much more convenient to use the definition of that type of integral. Let [itex]\vec{V}(\vec{x})[/itex] be a vector field, defined in some domain of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] and [itex]C: \lambda \in \mathbb{R} \supseteq (a,b) \mapsto \vec{x}(\lambda) \in \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] with values in the definition domain of [itex]\vec{V}[/itex]. Then the line integral over the vector field along the path [itex]C[/itex] is defined as

[tex]\int_C \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{x})=\int_{a}^{b} \mathrm{d} \lambda \frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{x}(\lambda)}{\mathrm{d} \lambda} \cdot \vec{V}[\vec{x}(\lambda)].[/tex]

The lines of forces are very simple in this case.
Fhsst_electrost25.png

Now you don't have to worry about the signs and angles here. Just simply use the formula for moving a charge through an electric field and you'll get it.
I hope this helps.
Thank you.

1. What is the equation for calculating electric potential due to a point charge?

The equation for calculating electric potential due to a point charge is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

2. How does the distance from the point charge affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the point charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is joules per coulomb, also known as volts (V).

4. Can the electric potential at a point ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point can be negative if the point charge is negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electric force on a positive test charge.

5. How does the magnitude of the point charge affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is directly proportional to the magnitude of the point charge. This means that as the magnitude of the point charge increases, the electric potential also increases.