1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Lorentz Transformation for Acceleration

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Starting with the Lorentz transformation for the components of the velocity, derive the transformation for the components of acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz Transformation for position and time :
    ##x'={\gamma}(x - vt)##
    ##t'={\gamma}(t - {\frac{vx}{c^2}})##
    Resulting transformation by taking ##{\frac{dx'}{dt'}}##
    ##u'_x={\frac{u_x-v}{1-{\frac{vu_x}{c^2}}}}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Before I go through the trouble of typing out my attempt in LaTex (I'm on my phone), let me make sure I'm going at this right because I think I'm over thinking this and now its all twisted in my head.
    Based on what they did to get the velocity transformation, I should be able to just take ##du'_x## and divide by the same ##dt'## used in the velocity transformation? Because it should be CHANGE of velocity over change in time. So ##{\frac{du'_x}{dt'}}## should give me what I want right?

EDIT: I've refined my confusion.

Its about how they are getting dx' and dt'.
    They are given as:
    ##dx'= {\gamma}(dx - vdt)##
    ##dt'={\gamma}(dt - {\frac{vdx}{c^2}})##

I'm not sure what they are differentiating with respect to so I don't know how to treat ##u'_x## as far as differentiation goes. I'm assuming(hoping) that my confusion is a result of the my notions of classical mechanics not being consistent here and not a result of losing my grip on Cal 1 stuff.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2
    It does seem that you are losing your grip on calculus. ##x'## and ##t'## are functions of ##x## and ##t##, so their total differentials will be linear forms of total differentials ##dx## and ##dt##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted