1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Minkowski norm of the four-momentum

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    I have attached a derivation of the Minkowski norm of the four-momentum but just don't quite see how the writer arrived at ## -m^2 c^2 ## from what was given. How exactly does this quantity follow from ## -\frac {E^2}{c^2} + p^2##? I feel like it might be very obvious, so any explanation would be great!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I would say that it is a definition rather than a derivation. We use the norm of the four momentum often enough that it deserves a name, so we define the name "mass" to refer to it.

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    Guys ....is it so that every physical quantity is related to time????
    like ....acceleration is rate of change in the velocity of an object over time....similar is for velocity n power.........but what abt other..........

cuz simply p=mv .........i dont get it.......but ...by equating ....p=mv n F=ma......we can get F=p/t.........n cant get this as well.....

plz sombody helppppp........m a 11th class student n cant go further if i cant get the basics clearly.......plzzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook