1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Derivation of non-dimensional Navier Stoke equation

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1
    Take the first three terms of Navier Stoke equation:
    $$\rho \cdot \left ( v_{x}\cdot \frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial x} + v_{y}\cdot \frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial y} + v_{z}\cdot \frac{\partial \vec{v}}{\partial z}\right )$$

Define the length ##v## of the velocity vector field:
    $$\vec{v}=v\cdot \vec{v}^{0}$$
    where ##\vec{v}^{0}## is the unit vector field with same direction as ##\vec{v}##. Thus it is:$$v_{x}=v\cdot v_{x}^{0}$$$$v_{y}=v\cdot v_{y}^{0}$$$$v_{z}=v\cdot v_{z}^{0}$$

Now both terms ##v\cdot \vec{v}^{0}## can change with ##x## coordinate, so their derivation is:
    $$\frac{\partial (v\cdot \vec{v}^{0})}{\partial x}=\vec{v}^{0}\cdot \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+v\cdot \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial x}$$

When I substitute these derivations into the NS equation (1. equation), I get something like this:
    $$\rho \cdot\vec{v}^{0}\cdot v\cdot \left ( \vec{v}^{0}\cdot \left ( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} , \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} , \frac{\partial v}{\partial z}\right ) \right )+\rho \cdot v^{2}\left ( \vec{v}^{0}\cdot \left ( \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial x} , \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial y} , \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial z}\right ) \right )$$

But according to the literature it should be just the second term:
    $$\rho \cdot v^{2}\left ( \vec{v}^{0}\cdot \left ( \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial x} , \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial y} , \frac{\partial \vec{v}^{0}}{\partial z}\right ) \right )=\rho \cdot v^{2}\cdot \left ( \vec{v}^{0}\cdot \left ( \mathrm{div} \vec{v}^{0} \right ) \right )$$

What is wrong about this derivation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you are understanding it right. If the point is to get rid of the dimensions then ##v## should be some constant reference speed, not the speed of the fluid at each point.

Edit: I also suggest you stop using ##\cdot## when you don't mean scalar product, it makes your post difficult to read.

4. Jun 17, 2017 #3
    So what is the definition of the unit velocity vector?

Edit: If ##v## is the average constant speed, than the length of ##\vec{v}^0## is not generally unity.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  5. Jun 17, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed. It is just a dimensionless velocity. Note that ##v## can be any fixed non-zero speed. You would typically fix it to some speed that appears in your problem, such as the speed of the flow at infinity.

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5
    The non-dimensional Navier Stokes equation is:
    $$\frac{L\cdot f}{v}\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial \vec{\tau}^*}+ v_x^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial x^*}+ v_y^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial y^*}+v_z^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial z^*}=\frac{g\cdot L}{v^2}\vec{g}^*+\frac{p^0}{\rho \cdot v^2} \bigtriangledown^*p^*+\frac{\eta }{L\cdot v\cdot \rho } \bigtriangledown^{*2}\vec{v}^*$$
    I understand that by setting physical parameters (##v,\rho,L...##) I can achieve in my scaled flow e.g. identical ratio of friction force to net force as in the original flow.

What I don't understand is how can I determine which terms in this equation are negligible. I know the physical dimensional parameters (##v,\rho,L...##) but I generally don't know the non-dimensional vectors (##v_x^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial x^*}+ v_y^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial y^*}+v_z^*\frac{\partial \vec{v}^*}{\partial z^*}##, ##\bigtriangledown^{*2}\vec{v}^*##...).
    So how can I know which values are standing behind every term in the equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted